When Did You Start Feeling Old?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
OK, crazy question.

But I used to wonder when people start getting old. How do they realize it? When does it start?

This year for me I think realized it. It was a gradual process over the past few years I think.

Now picking up a hundred pounds of something is impossible. I used to grab a hundred pound sack of cracked corn and carry it down the stairs on my shoulder. No more. Now a 60 pound bag of concrete laying on the ground is an effort to deal with.

Also walking down banks I am more careful, and things like that...Getting on and off the tractor is not as smooth an event as before, and so on.

So I concluded I am getting old...guess it catches up with all of us at some point. Everything still functions, but I did have torn meniscus's in my knees in the past, but no problems since...

Maybe a crazy question...just wondering...I used to wonder but now I know...

So when did you start feeling like you are getting old? If you want to admit it...LOL

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m not going to say I feel old.

Realizing my limitations last 5 years.

Some of that is actually my sensibility kicking in….some call it being wise. 😉

For 40 years I was never afraid of chainsaws or motorcycles.

My father always said the same thing about them - - if you’re NOT afraid of them you should be worried.

I’m now somewhat afraid of both. 🥺

Like my other thread says - now I’m just not very smart…..😉

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Two things so far…,

1. When the people I was hiring were younger than my son.

2. When I realized some of the road projects that are currently causing intermittent traffic issues, but will provide much more capacity long term, are things I’ll never use because their realistic completion date is well past my realistic life expectancy.

Edit: One more thing. These foresters I’m talking to that keep telling me things like, “After you log off Stand 1, if you replant with Loblolly Pine you’ll maximize your profit at next harvest.” And they say it with total sincerity. Yeah, by the time it’s ready for the next harvest I’ll be about 110 (and 6’ under).

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’m not going to say I feel old.

Realizing my limitations last 5 years.

Some of that is actually my sensibility kicking in….some call it being wise. 😉

For 40 years I was never afraid of chainsaws or motorcycles.

My father always said the same thing about them - - if you’re NOT afraid of them you should be worried.

I’m now somewhat afraid of both. 🥺

Like my other thread says - now I’m just not very smart…..😉
I gave up motorcycles after having kids. I was smart enough to realize the dangers after traveling the world a bit on one. Longest ride was 8 months from Spain to Thailand...lots of memories there...

Chainsaws...well, still use them...not always with my chaps...go figure...

Old Machinist

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 cab, JD 4310, NH 575E cab backhoe, JD F725, Swisher 60", etc.
May 27, 2024
NE FL
I'm 72. I'll let you know when it happens! ;)

Seriously, on the 100 LB subject. I was using two 100 lb suitcase weights today to try and glue down some flooring that warped. I joked to my wife how I use to throw a hundred lb sack of feed on each shoulder and carry a pitchfork to keep the Elan from attacking me. (I used to work at a ZOO). Now I can get a 100 lb weight a few inches off the ground to move it a few feet at a time.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK, crazy question.

Maybe a crazy question...just wondering.

So when did you start feeling like you are getting old? If you want to admit it...LOL
Feb 19th, 2023 - thats the day the doctor delivered the pulmonary fibrosis diagnosis. Up until then I was feeling pretty young.

Dan

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Two things so far…,

1. When the people I was hiring were younger than my son.

2. When I realized some of the road projects that are currently causing intermittent traffic issues, but will provide much more capacity long term, are things I’ll never use because their realistic completion date is well past my realistic life expectancy.

Edit: One more thing. These foresters I’m talking to that keep telling me things like, “After you log off Stand 1, if you replant with Loblolly Pine you’ll maximize your profit at next harvest.” And they say it with total sincerity. Yeah, by the time it’s ready for the next harvest I’ll be about 110 (and 6’ under).
Us foresters always think about the future. If you don’t realize the next harvest, your children will. But loblolly can be harvested as small sawtimber at age 25, so you may not be too old. 😉🤣

Reactions: 1 users

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
The day I realized it took me all night long to do what I use to do all night long. :LOL:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OK, crazy question.

But I used to wonder when people start getting old. How do they realize it? When does it start?

This year for me I think realized it. It was a gradual process over the past few years I think.

Now picking up a hundred pounds of something is impossible. I used to grab a hundred pound sack of cracked corn and carry it down the stairs on my shoulder. No more. Now a 60 pound bag of concrete laying on the ground is an effort to deal with.

Also walking down banks I am more careful, and things like that...Getting on and off the tractor is not as smooth an event as before, and so on.

So I concluded I am getting old...guess it catches up with all of us at some point. Everything still functions, but I did have torn meniscus's in my knees in the past, but no problems since...

Maybe a crazy question...just wondering...I used to wonder but now I know...

At 80, but am closing in on 84 now, .......and it is REALLY obvious!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wasnt ever old, till I wound in in ICU for 6 weeks, then 8 weeks of rehab,, then another ICU for 2 weeks and back to rehab,, and I will tell you boys, they let all the steam out. I keep pushing as hard as I can, cause I dont do will in captivity, though every day things get harder to do. I dont know how much longer I have, but like so many in here, when I go its going to be kicking and clawing the whole way

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A few weeks ago while fueling my vehicle, I saw a guy next to me fueling that looked about my age. He had a T shirt on that said “It’s weird to be the same age as old people.” I looked at him and said I know exactly what you mean.

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
When you watch a Lawrence Welk show - and enjoy it!

• Haha

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I think I was doing fine until I saw a little boy sitting on a park bench crying. I looked around and didn't see anyone else in the vicinity so I felt compelled to make sure the little guy wasn't injured. I asked him
"what's the matter son" and he replied "I can't run with the big boys". At that moment it felt as if the sun suddenly appeared from behind a cloud and I said "scoot over cause I feel the need to sit down and cry with you".

• Haha

Old Machinist

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 cab, JD 4310, NH 575E cab backhoe, JD F725, Swisher 60", etc.
May 27, 2024
NE FL
I just remembered an event that made me feel old. I was helping a grad student fabricate something to help with an experiment and she told me how much her mother appreciated my help when SHE was a student there.

I've been retired going on 8 years now and that grad student is a tenured professor.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
When my name changed from Dad to Grandpa..... (y)

Actually, it hits me in waves.

Lifting things is at the top of my list though.

But I am not fully there yet because, my mind keeps "writing checks, that my body can't cash" and I usually realize it when I am "sore as hell" the day after doing something that is "seemingly easy."

A friend and I were talking about something the other day and he said "One of these days I'm gonna get one of those "off road" 4wd Can-Am things......"

(if you knew this guy, you would be laughing your ass off......there is no way in hell he would spend 30K + on an off road vehicle....)

To which I replied....."What the hell are you waiting for?.......You do realize that in "football terms", it's the beginning of the 4th quarter for us, and we have no time outs left....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When my name changed from Dad to Grandpa..... (y)

Actually, it hits me in waves.

Lifting things is at the top of my list though.

But I am not fully there yet because, my mind keeps "writing checks, that my body can't cash" and I usually realize it when I am "sore as hell" the day after doing something.

A friend and I were talking about something the other day and he said "One of these days I'm gonna get one of those "off road" 4wd Can-Am things......"

(if you knew this guy, you would be laughing your ass off......there is no way in hell he would spend 30K + on an off road vehicle....)

To which I replied....."What the hell are you waiting for?.......You do realize that in "football terms", it's the beginning of the 4th quarter for us, and we have no time outs left....

Well, in football terms many folks go through life with no coach! Then they can't identify what stage of the game they are in.

Probably why many don't want to discuss a will, or get anything important in writing. It's a form of denial.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
You're only old when farts stop being funny... or have lumps...

But for me I'm now 51 and for the most part in decent shape, not on any medication plumbing still works as it should etc. what I have noticed is my stamina is slowly getting to be less and less, need more water breaks. Recovery time is something I never dealt with until now, after a long weekend of working on the property I tend to pay for it during the next week. Figure it's all downhill from here, just have to try to fall slowly..

Reactions: 2 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I realized it when I was lifting my ATV on to the trailer and I separated my bicep. After surgery to reattach the bicep, and a few months of rehab, I realized that my mind had better catch up with my physical age. The funny thing is that I have ramps and could have just drove the ATV onto the trailer but I just thought that it was not that heavy. I found out differently the hard way.

Beerlord

Equipment
Kubota L4802HST
Jul 1, 2024
Sumit, MS
When my grown son thanked me for being tough on him when he was young so that he could grow up making better decisions in life and not just go with the riff-raff flow downstream.

But, I've not yet yelled to anyone, "Get Off My Lawn"! :)

• Haha