What width root grapple bucket?

David N

Equipment
M7060
Jan 6, 2024
MN
So my M7060 has R4 tires which makes it much wider than the same rig with the AG tires.....it's right around 78". When I bought it(used) it came with the standard 72" dirt bucket which I replaced with a 84 incher.......

Now I'm gonna pick up a root grapple bucket and like most attachments ya like them to cover the track width of the tractor..........only issue is when you start to get into those wider buckets they start to get mighty heavy........I don't want a 1000lb unit and drastically reduce my lift capacity...........I'm thinkin of staying with a narrower bucket as it's not getting used as a standard dirt bucket and doing loader work in dirt........or do you folks with root grapple buckets prefer them to cover the tractor width? And being a bit larger tractor, I really don't want a light duty bucket. It wouldn't take much to wreck something.

Linky links:
Stinger Root Grapple
Stinger Root Rock Grapple

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So my M7060 has R4 tires which makes it much wider than the same rig with the AG tires.....it's right around 78". When I bought it(used) it came with the standard 72" dirt bucket which I replaced with a 84 incher.......

Now I'm gonna pick up a root grapple bucket and like most attachments ya like them to cover the track width of the tractor..........only issue is when you start to get into those wider buckets they start to get mighty heavy........I don't want a 1000lb unit and drastically reduce my lift capacity...........I'm thinkin of staying with a narrower bucket as it's not getting used as a standard dirt bucket and doing loader work in dirt........or do you folks with root grapple buckets prefer them to cover the tractor width? And being a bit larger tractor, I really don't want a light duty bucket. It wouldn't take much to wreck something.

Linky links:
Stinger Root Grapple
Stinger Root Rock Grapple
I have the same grapple as @Matt Ellerbee that I use with the MX and M6060. It weights around 400lb. I bought it before I picked up the M6060, and sometimes wish I had the Wicked 66 but that ship has sailed. The 60 is 600lb or thereabouts, a bit wider and with a slightly larger opening.

I would say that 600lb would be about perfect for your M7060. Also, don't assume that an increase in grapple weight means and increase in strength or durability. A good design may not be as heavy since it puts weight where it's needed.

m6060_tree_04.jpg

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I went the width of my front tires. Too wide puts a lot of torque on your loader arms if you are hauling/moving logs.
And with dual lids you don't need much width to keep things in place while hauling. Narrower allows more movement in tighter places.