What size log splitter for B2100?

bigsky27

Equipment
Bx1860
Jun 22, 2024
Ohio
I recently purchased a B2100 that is about 25 years old. I am trying to find a log splitter for it. I found one that looks like it was hardly ever used and is rated at 16 tons, which I realize is on the lower end of log splitter ratings. I have been trying to figure out if my tractor will run it. I have the flowrate of my hydraulic pump from tractordata.com. I tried contacting the manufacturer of the log splitter to see if they could tell me what flowrate I need but they have not responded and I'm not sure that they are in business anymore. Is it safe to assume that this tractor can run a 16 ton splitter?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I recently purchased a B2100 that is about 25 years old. I am trying to find a log splitter for it. I found one that looks like it was hardly ever used and is rated at 16 tons, which I realize is on the lower end of log splitter ratings. I have been trying to figure out if my tractor will run it. I have the flowrate of my hydraulic pump from tractordata.com. I tried contacting the manufacturer of the log splitter to see if they could tell me what flowrate I need but they have not responded and I'm not sure that they are in business anymore. Is it safe to assume that this tractor can run a 16 ton splitter?
You will almost certainly be disappointed by the cycle time of just about any log splitter operated from tractor hydraulics.

Reactions: 1 user

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I've looked at tractor run and stand alone and just about everyone on here will tell you that you'd be much better off to get a tow behind stand alone splitter. The power is better, you can leave the splitter in one spot and move logs and use a trailer while the splitter stays in one spot and does the work. You can split and throw the split firewood into the bucket and move it to it's final location. Basically you can still use your tractor to do things when you don't have a splitter attached to it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

Is it safe to assume that this tractor can run a 16 ton splitter?

NO, not without a LOT more information !
Tractordata says you've got about 6 GPM and a 3 G tank, nothing about actual pressure though.
Probably around 1500 PSI ?

'16 ton' splitter. What size cylinder ? Some units use a 4" x 20" @ 2200PSI. Last one I built used a 6" bore, 24" stroke, 3500 PSI , 10G tank and cooler.

This is a 'numbers matter' deal.

Can it run it , sure....snail slow hopefully won't run out of oil !

You're far better buying a 'power pack' ( gas engine/hydraulic pump/tank ). It'll be rabbit fast AND allow you to use tractor for other duties

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
When I had a JD1025R, I got a PTO driven splitter. Rare as hen's teeth nowadays. The PTO drives a pump.
I offloaded it when I shifted to pellet stoves. My retired body doesn't like mucking with firewood. Some good comments. If you go with pure hydraulics, the flow rate on these tractors means you're going slowly. The "tonnage" will depend on available pressure. The tractor can only do so much.

C4C94780-1E44-47F7-90CD-BD7E270F2D02_4_5005_c.jpeg