What kind of snake?

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I just googled snakes of Virginia. Y'all got too many snakes down there! I'll stick to 3 types of bears here. Wish you luck identifying it though.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Possibly. He looks bigger than their max size. Also browns have more of a dot pattern down their back. Your guy looks more stripped. I have seen duller grayish looking garters. 🤷

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Possibly. He looks bigger than their max size. Also browns have more of a dot pattern down their back. Your guy looks more stripped. I have seen duller grayish looking garters. 🤷
The one in my photo is less than 6" long. Maybe as thick as a #2 pencil.
I'm completely clueless about snakes.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Looks like a snake looking for its next meal. The only thing that I know about snakes is to avoid them in the wild. I have handled boas and pythons, but never any wild snakes. Whenever I see them I go in the opposite direction.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
There are lots of species of garter snakes with different colors and patterns. But I will say that snake whatever it is non-venomous. Venomous snakes have triangular shaped heads.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
There are lots of species of garter snakes with different colors and patterns. But I will say that snake whatever it is non-venomous. Venomous snakes have triangular shaped heads.
Oh yeah! I do remember the head shape thing now. That's because of the pit senory glands. Or something like that.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Its true that the three (indigenous) Pit Vipers in the U.S. have prominently triangular heads, but I would caution against using that as a singular diagnostic tool for identifying venomous snakes.

Rattlesnakes, Copperheads and Cottonmouth (the three pit vipers) do certainly have a triangular shaped head (and are venomous) but the Coral Snake does not. It is also not a Pit Viper.

Several harmless water snakes have roughly triangular heads or will flatten their head to look that way....but are not venomous.

IF you are not familiar with the other ways to I.D. the venomous snakes in your area....it is best to leave them alone rather than risk a bite.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
My best 'guess', not being real familiar with all the snakes in Virginia....is that the snake in question is possibly the gray version of a DeKay's Brown Snake.

Based on size and pattern.

Harmless of course. Neat pic. Thanks for sharing.

DB.jpg

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I let the little guy live. They all serve a purpose, venomous or not. Still thinking it was a Brown.
^^^^^
Thanks for letting it go on its way. (y)

DeKay's Brown (the more common name) and Northern Brown (less commonly called) are the same snake (species).

Not unlike one person calling a Cottonmouth a Water Moccasin (same snake)....but the name called might be more prevalent depending on location.

Though called a 'brown' snake....in reality the color often varies from brown to gray and in some areas even a bluish-gray color.

Beneficial and harmless snake. Rarely over 12" long and very docile even when handled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users