What is normal noise?

ChadS

Equipment
L3600
Apr 24, 2010
Newnan, Georgia, USA
Hi guys, I just purchased a used '95 L3600 4WD with a little under 1000 hours on it. It's the gear shift model, non hydrstatic. The machine seems to work correctly, but I have a couple of questions.

First, there is a distinct whining noise that comes from the back that seems to get louder as the speed and load increases. It's absent in the lower gears, but seems to increase with each higher gear, and the more gas you give it, the louder it is.....it also seem to be more distinct when in 4WD. It's not a grinding noise and there doesn't seem to be any unusual vibration or loss of power, just the noise, almost like a planetary whine. I checked the tranny/hyd fluid and it's dead in the middle of the window. Is some whining normal? I know these things aren't as quiet as a car, but what is normal? Might a complete changing of the fluid help?

Also, how hard should it be to shift it in and out of 4WD? Last night, I was trying to get it out of 4WD and it was a pain in the rear. It finally shifted out, but it took some good tugging on the handle to get it out.

I'm pretty new to the Orange world, so any help understanding the quirks of these things would be greatly appreciated.

tiger9297

Equipment
B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
I have a B7100 4x4 hydrostat (I know you said yours was a gear drive) and mine "whines" too. My fluid level is good, my tractor is in perfect condition, and has been well maintained. I have wondered if there is something wrong as well, but have just settled it in my mind that Kubotas have a little "whine" to them. I've had mine for a while, and it has never given me the slightest indication that there is a problem.

ChadS

Equipment
L3600
Apr 24, 2010
Newnan, Georgia, USA
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that it might be something normal since all else seems to be fine, but wanted to get other opinions. Does yours seem to be a little louder with 4WD engaged?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have spent quite a bit of time on 6 different Kubotas. 2 of them were M 9000 and the only difference in these 2 were is that 1 has a cab. None of them sounded alike. They all have some kind of noise coming from some where.

Try this on your 4WD shifter problem. When you get ready to disengage it, while you are driving turn the steering wheel (mine seems to work better to the right) with plans of making a full turn. As you start turning try to disengage the 4WD shifter.

It seems to take the strain (for lack of better words) out of the drive line and the shifter will move freely.

Last edited: