What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Got the grapple on. Moved 2 grapples worth of crap then the dinner bell rang... sure is a soupy muddy mess. Glad the area I’m operating in is the unfinished part of the yard

1BB6E748-7557-4A4E-9C92-0D03D3FDA4A8.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
It has been up in the upper teens each day and the forecast is to be in the 20's next week. Spring is reluctant and very slow to warm this year. I popped up the hardpack snow/ice on 3/8ths of a mile of driveway. Tonight I'll finish the parking area. Now the sun can start doing it's job and melt things. I want spring to get here. Another month or so. Sad sigh.
IMG_20210318_120339_8.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
It has been up in the upper teens each day and the forecast is to be in the 20's next week. Spring is reluctant and very slow to warm this year. I popped up the hardpack snow/ice on 3/8ths of a mile of driveway. Tonight I'll finish the parking area. Now the sun can start doing it's job and melt things. I want spring to get here. Another month or so. Sad sigh. View attachment 56548
Yeah, I can imagine that you're longing for spring...

One question. It seems to me that every youtube video and TV show featuring vehicles from Alaska and Canada have cracked windshields. What gives? Just the cold or is it from road hazards? I'm really curious.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Yeah, I can imagine that you're longing for spring...

One question. It seems to me that every youtube video and TV show featuring vehicles from Alaska and Canada have cracked windshields. What gives? Just the cold or is it from road hazards? I'm really curious.
They put gravel down on the icey roads vehicles coming the other direction flick up rocks. The rock chips in the windshield spread rapidly due to the defroster heating the windshield rapidly from the bottom. When it's butt numbing cold it will make a heck of a pop. Typical AK windshield. If you replaced each one you'd go through 3-4 a year.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I had a bunch of trees blow down from the storm yesterday but with 2" of rainfall, it will be a while before I can get out there to cut them up without making a mess of the fields and lawn. Supposed to be dry through next Monday so that is on my Monday evening list. I'll throw on some muck boots and take a walk at lunch IF this wind dies down. Not interested in getting hit by a branch or tree top.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
It rained a lot here the last 24 hours but the big news was the wind. Overnight I could hear the big branches breaking off and hitting the ground.
The good news, when the ground dries out, is I'll be able to really exercise that WC68 chipper at last :)
The bad news is some of these branches are the size of trees and I'm going to have to chainsaw them up into firewood size. I don't burn it but give it away to our neighbors that do.
A grapple is starting to sound better and better. . .

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Probably take a few weeks to dry to 10 %
I seriously doubt that you will get it that dry in that amount of time. (Actually you won't. You really need to find someone with a kiln.) If you install them without proper drying, turn the boards with the "bark side" down when you install the treads so that the edges will have a tendency to cup downward. Fasten them only in the center so that they can shrink without pulling apart and splitting down the center. After a couple of years you can safely fasten the outer edges.

By the way, I haven't sawn live edge since yesterday:
B38E6612-F23D-4EA7-A75F-43BB6799C641.jpeg

Last edited:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
So those YouTube guys make working a grapple look super easy. Been running it for an hr now, bit of a learning curve with getting the angle right so your not lifting the front end, or only grabbing a little bit. My 1 pile of crap is now on the burn pile. Onto the second one. Also. Grapples are awesome and I may do a write up review on this HLA grapple today.
DCE1A9EC-7C66-410E-82E0-E165B7C8E555.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
@Crash277 It took me a little too. Imagine opening your palm, then rotating your wrist forward and down while closing your fist. Kind of what's going on with the tractor all at once. Inching forward, I come down from above, rolling the bucket forward and down while closing.

On my former BX, the land pride 3rd function had a difficult time doing all these things at once. Not sure if it was a limitation of flow or the plumbing on BX.

I love that grapple btw, it looks perfect for BX, almost like a hybrid between root grapple and clamshell style

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
@Crash277 It took me a little too. Imagine opening your palm, then rotating your wrist forward and down while closing your fist. Kind of what's going on with the tractor all at once. Inching forward, I come down from above, rolling the bucket forward and down while closing.

On my former BX, the land pride 3rd function had a difficult time doing all these things at once. Not sure if it was a limitation of flow or the plumbing on BX.

I love that grapple btw, it looks perfect for BX, almost like a hybrid between root grapple and clamshell style
Didn’t take long. Got a puncture in my front right tire. (r4).

it’s awesome so far. It’s heavy duty. I really wish I could get my hands on a landpride one that weighs less to compare. This one IMO is a bit heavy at 385lbs. I have some saplings that I’m letting Mother Nature plant and grow. And a full load of scrap lumber raised up its a bit tippy. So I’mtaking it pretty slow.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
wow that is a seriously stout grapple!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Did not do anything to it today but did score a couple suitcase weights today for a measly $20. I thought I might be able to slip them onto my rear blade for more ballast if needed..only 40 something lbs a piece but will help.

Their a lot smaller than I thought but they sure feel heavier than he said.

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well, she's here... And very shiny for now. Not mine, but, don't they say that possession in 9/10ths of the law or something to that effect? All I know is that for right now I'm more comfortable on a backhoe.

KX033-3.JPG

KX033-1.JPG

Need to rack up some seat time to get proficient. I will say that the new ford F350 6.2L doesn't like pulling it. For some reason the truck felt absolutely gutless.

KX033-2.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

FuzzyG

Equipment
LA340
Mar 19, 2021
North Georgia
tempImageuEzfUJ.jpg

My birthday present was delivered today! Looking forward to reading all the posts and threads on this site to learn more about how to get the most fun (and work) out of it.

Reactions: 7 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
Well, she's here... And very shiny for now. Not mine, but, don't they say that possession in 9/10ths of the law or something to that effect? All I know is that for right now I'm more comfortable on a backhoe.

Need to rack up some seat time to get proficient. I will say that the new ford F350 6.2L doesn't like pulling it. For some reason the truck felt absolutely gutless.
WOW that is awesome, enjoy the seat time! looking forward to seeing some of the work.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
View attachment 56612
My birthday present was delivered today! Looking forward to reading all the posts and threads on this site to learn more about how to get the most fun (and work) out of it.
Nice! Welcome to the forum Fuzzy! I want a Grappler!!