What are your thoughts on consolidating down to a LX35/40 20?

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
What would YOU do question:
I have a 15 year old BX 24 with a 60" belly mower, the loader and the BH. Tractor almost exclusively now is a mower - haven't used the BH or FEL on it for years. Runs great, well maintained, nothing wrong with it. It gets used for cutting the grass and then sits under the barn lean-to from November until May when the lawn isn't growing.

Also have a 7 year old L4760 cab, FEL, big front mount blower, loader / grapple, etc. That tractor lives with us because when I bough it we were actively farming and it replaced a TC45DA. Tractor is very comfortable but does not get a lot of a use as it does not snow much anymore in the parts (but I need a blower for the times it does), only bushoging is paths now and the grapple gets used for small firewood work and cleaning up stuff. Tractor gets like maybe 20-30 hours a year. It's also got R1's on it so it can't go across the lawn except from June - September when the ground is dry and hard.

If this was you - would you entertain trading both in and getting a LX35(or 40)20 with a blower and midmount mower and do everything with a single tractor? Is that crazy as it's a lot less tractor than the L4760... but I don't really use that one much - I'm conflicted in the thought process and would love to hear the thoughts of others.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I'd keep the L4760 and trade the BX for a zero turn. I'm not sure how much you have to mow, but a zero turn generally does it better.

Reactions: 3 users

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520, Rtv-520 and LandPride implements
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have a 15 year old BX 24 with a 60" belly mower, the loader and the BH. Tractor almost exclusively now is a mower - haven't used the BH or FEL on it for years. Runs great, well maintained, nothing wrong with it. It gets used for cutting the grass and then sits under the barn lean-to from November until May when the lawn isn't growing.

Also have a 7 year old L4760 cab, FEL, big front mount blower, loader / grapple, etc. That tractor lives with us because when I bough it we were actively farming and it replaced a TC45DA. Tractor is very comfortable but does not get a lot of a use as it does not snow much anymore in the parts (but I need a blower for the times it does), only bushoging is paths now and the grapple gets used for small firewood work and cleaning up stuff. Tractor gets like maybe 20-30 hours a year. It's also got R1's on it so it can't go across the lawn except from June - September when the ground is dry and hard.

If this was you - would you entertain trading both in and getting a LX35(or 40)20 with a blower and midmount mower and do everything with a single tractor? Is that crazy as it's a lot less tractor than the L4760... but I don't really use that one much - I'm conflicted in the thought process and would love to hear the thoughts of others.
Hello. So here is my thought I have a lx3520 cab with a bunch of attachments it’s my primary acreage tractor. I cut the walking trails and fence lines with it 72 inch rough cut mower. I also cut my lawn with a 72 inch grooming mower I don’t have much obstacles to go around so it works perfect. If you primarily want lx for lighter lifting and pushing it will be fine. I have a hyd rear blade and a snow pusher on front. It does everything i need it to. But if money wasn’t an option and i did it again i would buy a diesel zero turn and prob go up to grand L series. But right now i also have 2 m series tractors as well that I use for work. So I wanted a smaller tractor with a cab, and the lx is perfect. If your wanting to do heavy loader work and lifting continuously than I would keep your L series and maybe just trade bx for a dedicated zero turn. Anyways good luck with your choice

Reactions: 1 user

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
Thanks for the replies.
The main interest in even considering this is to get rid of an extra tractor / mower to maintain. So I'm not considering tossing the BX for a zero turn.
The L is super comfy and really nice - but it just gets used so little I feel bad for it. I know there are times where having the size and weight would be nice and I'd miss it- but there's nothing around here I do anymore that NEEDS the size and capacity of the L - which, again is why I'm even considering things.

I looked at a LX2610 a few years back with the same sort of logic and it was too small and really rough compared to the L. Seems like the LXxx20's solved a lot of that...

I have a few acres around the house - flat. Then a few acres that get hit with the bush hog twice a year (old pasture) and then a fair bit of trail that the bushhog takes care over throughout the season.

Currently the L drags a 72" land plane several times a year to keep the 1/2 mile drive in decent shape.

Bucket work is gravel when we need to replenish the driveway and mulch for landscaping every few years. I imagine the gravel work would be slower when it happens - but that's every few years - so it's not like that's a huge issue. Also grapple for downed trees and firewood - again - work wold be slower due to capacity - but it's not very much anyhow (based on hour meter of L)

I dunno - I'm pretty sure they will tell me my tractors and implements are worth $20k and then tell me how awesome the 0% financing is... I'm not looking to do that - it would have to be a damn close to even swap deal to go any farther! So really this is an exercise in general opinions!

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
The LX 35/40 20 seem too heavy to mow a lawn with from what I have experienced. If it's good lawn you will eventually wind up with tire ruts. The BX or a zero turn are best for mowing and both are more maneurable and lightweight. I would start by pricing out the machine to your specs and the trade values if you're looking to break even. Those 35/40s are quite pricy when you start adding accessories, remotes, and a 3rd function. Also sit in one and check access because I did not find the LX2620 cab to be comfortable or easy for me to access. Great deals going on now before the 25s hit so you never know.

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The BX24 weight is 1542 and the LX4020 is 2,624 (both add the weight of a 60" deck - so I'd assume about the same increase 3-400#)

So it is a bit more than a 1000# heavier... but the tires are a little wider - so I don't know that it would rut much more than the BX. Especially with the R14's vs the R4's on the BX. That said - that's a good point to consider.
Yeah - I'd totally have to sit in one, drive one, mess with one before I would remotely do anything.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Good day.

That’s a great question / scenario.

It’s hard for me to feel too strongly as it’s not my money or situation. In full disclosure I generally like to buy new and maintain and use as over long term (don’t like to sell to be quite honest especially if it has useful life left.). I am normally hung up on the replace value vs something that is paid for and works just fine. And more importantly I like to have spares. That’s just my perspective for your reference.

So for me, I’d be pretty hung up on have two paid for tractors that work just fine (correct?) vs trading them both in and owing money for a machine that is less appealing on both ends of your uses, if I understood you uses…want to mow with MMM and not leave ruts and occasionally may want to run a land plane or lift something, correct?

Well the LX (is similar to my B I think in terms of lift and weight…lift about 1000, but you are limited with what you can do with it). 1000 really not much so when you want to lift something safely how much are you figuring? If planning to lift at the max with LX I think that is a bad plan…just my opinion…I’ll bet your L is much more stable on a hill than an LX).

Do you have large trees that might fall or that you would need to move? Or water you need to haul? Etc? Those are lift heavy chores that need some weight to do safely IMO.

As far as mowing lawn BX is superior to the LX (I had a BX before a B) and BX is a mowing machine with the extra utility of a front loader….great around the house and gardens.

So I think of you do the trade you are going to pay someone money to take two more capable machines off your hands and be left with something less capable.

Is storage space an issue? If not even if very low use the amount you save by not trading and owing would go a long ways and pay the dealer to maintain your current machines if you just don’t want the maintenance IMO. Or sell the L and pay someone to do the brush hogging or heavier tasks, keep the BX and put money in pocket to pay someone to do the heavy stuff.

I’d miss the L for sure when it’s gone.

For me I like have options so I’d have a hard time giving my machines away to reduce options and capability (but I am also not imagine not needing them…your case might be different from what you have shared though?

Ultimately I would prefer not to take care of a MMM ever again, but that is just me. Heck you could leave the blower on the L and the MMM on the BX and have money left over for something else (buy a lot palletized ammo and bourbon in barrels and age to perfection or until thirsty)and not have to change attachments so much.

Well I guess you have my thoughts by now. Comes down to what you want IMO.

Good luck. 🥃

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
buy a lot palletized ammo and bourbon in barrels and age to perfection or until thirsty
Based on the other comments - this comment - and sleeping on it - I'm not gonna do this. Gonna stick with what I have and be happy. I think somewhere in here / sleeping last night I got to the point where I think the LX would be too big for mowing the yard and too small for other tasks leaving me with a less comfortable new tractor that made me miss both the others!
Thanks for the opinions all - appreciate it!

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX2360, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Natchez has a good ammo sale 🤭. I found getting a zero turn cut my mowing and trimming time in half over my BX. May be something to think about should you want more time to enjoy that bourbon in the future 😁.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I suppose if there was going to be a "financial windfall" in my favor (I.E. I was gonna pocket 15K) after the trading was done, I might do it.

But a "straight up trade"? Or even worse, if money had to come out of my pocket? I think I would just keep my stuff.

Especially if its paid for, been well kept, runs good and storage is not a problem.

Just my $ .02

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
(buy a lot palletized ammo and bourbon in barrels and age to perfection or until thirsty)

Good luck. 🥃

Man I love the taste of good Bourbon....Too bad it don't like me.....I get mean as hell when I drink it for some crazy reason.

If my wife sees me even "try" to put a glass of it to my lips, she'll smack that glass across the room before it touches my lips........

But the ammo.....Now you got me.....:LOL:

• Wow

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The mower mounts are different on different Kubota tractors. I'd look into removal/addition. Also, an LX is a lot heavier than a BX which might make more tracks in the yard.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Man I love the taste of good Bourbon....Too bad it don't like me.....I get mean as hell when I drink it for some crazy reason.

If my wife sees me even "try" to put a glass of it to my lips, she'll smack that glass across the room before it touches my lips........

But the ammo.....Now you got me.....:LOL:
Well, the devil’s water is most certainly not for everyone. It’s good your better half is there to remind you of the limits.

I guess that leaves you with extra $$$ for ammo. I can’t wait until someone figures out how to make some that floats 😉…mine sinks just the same as everything else in the boat.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users