Weed killer that won’t kill grass

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
What product would kill leafy weeds but not damage perennial rye ? Suggestions from the lawn care professionals, thank you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As mentioned - 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid will do it! Commonly called 2-4-D, can be found in many chemicals - some more expensive than others. Spray - and then wait to see the effects and then spray again to make sure.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
What product would kill leafy weeds but not damage perennial rye ? Suggestions from the lawn care professionals, thank you.
There's a host of reasons you really should contact your local extension agent for questions like this.
The primary reason is to enjoy success without damaging desirable plants accidently. "Leafy weeds" isn't sufficient description of what you are trying to eliminate. Weed is any plant growing where it's a nuisance. Millions of people spend millions of dollars annually to grow Bermuda lawns while an equal number of people spend and equal amount of money trying to get rid of it in crops, beds and gardens. BTW Bermuda is very leafy and eradicating it from among Rye requires diligence.

In addition to Bermuda,Crabgrass and Dallisgrass are also prevalent and difficult to control in Rye ( all of them laugh at 2-4-D)

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
2-4-D has been used for this purpose for a long time. It’s what is in weed and feed lawn products. But, there’s a big caveat. It will also kill shrubs and trees that have roots extending into the lawn.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
2-4-D has been used for this purpose for a long time. It’s what is in weed and feed lawn products. But, there’s a big caveat. It will also kill shrubs and trees that have roots extending into the lawn.
It says so on the bag but people see Weed and Feed then put it on their yard without even reading label. Some put it in gardens and beds hoping to control weeds.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It says so on the bag but people see Weed and Feed then put it on their yard without even reading label. Some put it in gardens and beds hoping to control weeds.
The only thing I will use in the garden of beds is glyphosate. And very sparingly as a spot application to kill perennial weeds. I pull, hoe or till annual weeds.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
The only thing I will use in the garden of beds is glyphosate. And very sparingly as a spot application to kill perennial weeds. I pull, hoe or till annual weeds.
So do I and I haven't bought weed and feed for lawn in decades. I spot treat/spray weeds in lawn as needed where St Augustine doesn't choke them out.

Reactions: 1 user