Warning: Not a Kubota problem

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm working on a D2 Cat hydraulic valve. On D2,4 &6 all use the same #44 hydraulic system. It's essentially a tank that holds the hyd fluid with the pump and control valve in the tank. I'm pretty sure I have the problem solved and now need to seal the cover on the tank. This system sets at the front of the machine and is in a vertical position, meaning it's about 8" front to back, 2 ft top to bottom, and 2' wide. I can probably still get the gasket from Cat, but since this machine is 73 years old I am thinking I can come up with a modern gasket product that will seal this think positively and with less trouble then the factory gasket. Something in a tube!!

I'm looking for ideas and opinions on a sealer.

These pictures give an idea of the project. This has a nose piece that was not factory and turns out to be a pain to get to the pump & valve housing. The cover is pretty heavy metal, not like an oil pan for a auto. There are about 30 bolts holding it in place every couple of inches.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is there any pressure inside this?

So any type of liquid sealer is a no-no..... cork a no-no.....

IS the face of the body symmetrical? IF so - you could do the ol tape trick twice and lay back down on a gasket material....... like on of those large rolled sheets of gasket material.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm working on a D2 Cat hydraulic valve. On D2,4 &6 all use the same #44 hydraulic system. It's essentially a tank that holds the hyd fluid with the pump and control valve in the tank. I'm pretty sure I have the problem solved and now need to seal the cover on the tank. This system sets at the front of the machine and is in a vertical position, meaning it's about 8" front to back, 2 ft top to bottom, and 2' wide. I can probably still get the gasket from Cat, but since this machine is 73 years old I am thinking I can come up with a modern gasket product that will seal this think positively and with less trouble then the factory gasket. Something in a tube!!

I'm looking for ideas and opinions on a sealer.

These pictures give an idea of the project. This has a nose piece that was not factory and turns out to be a pain to get to the pump & valve housing. The cover is pretty heavy metal, not like an oil pan for a auto. There are about 30 bolts holding it in place every couple of inches.
Not an answer to your question, but,.......but is the undercarriage in good condition?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't think the tank has that much pressure. The pump does. I think any modern diesel/automotive gasket sealer that can take the heat would work.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not an answer to your question, but,.......but is the undercarriage in good condition?
Yep. I've never thru a chain off in a gazillion years! I have and extra set if you want to try some on your tractor.

This is an product of buying sight unseen. Bought it in Indiana, had a guy truck it to my farm. I removed both steering clutches and rebuilt them. That was before good digital cameras and most of the picture I got are not very good.