Voltage Regulator

alodine

Equipment
Kubota GST L4330
Jun 19, 2024
fort worth
Stupid question im sure but i cannot locate the voltage regulator on my Kubota GSX L4330. Im charging battery now but i believe it is either the regulator or the alternator. Once charged i will check both. New battery and terminals. after mowing for 2 hours it would not go into forward or reverse while running. When i turned it off it would not restart and i found battery to be at 10.3 volts.
Amy help would be appreciated. Like i said im hoping its the voltage regulator but i cannot seem to find it.
Thanks in advance!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Stupid question im sure but i cannot locate the voltage regulator on my Kubota GSX L4330. Im charging battery now but i believe it is either the regulator or the alternator. Once charged i will check both. New battery and terminals. after mowing for 2 hours it would not go into forward or reverse while running. When i turned it off it would not restart and i found battery to be at 10.3 volts.
Amy help would be appreciated. Like i said im hoping its the voltage regulator but i cannot seem to find it.
Thanks in advance!
Read the reference material I have attached for your charging system.
Regulator is internal to the alternator.
Did you pump new ends on original cables? is so that is going to give you trouble if not now soon.
Take alternator off and take to an independent shop and ask them to repair. That way you keep most of the quality components.
Dave

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Or spend $80 and get everything new. https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-K...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I did buy a regulator for my 40A Kubota alt for only $18 if you can determine that’s the only issue. (swapping batteries can kill ‘em if you do it out-of-sequence… always disconnect the neg terminal first and reinstall it last. I bought my tractor used from a guy who’d just installed a new batt, which disguised a non-functioning regulator.)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well Kub Cda list the regulator for $613 !!! Didn't look for the complete price but I'd be tossing a $50 CS130 in there if it needed a new alternator !!!
Maybe someone can check USA prices.... the complete alt for ROPS version is <$500, the end bell as a part $550, reg is $600+ ...so by the time you buy al the pieces to make an alternator, it'll be over $3500 !!!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks in advance!
Voltage regulators have been part of most alternators for decades. I consider alternators to be "wear" parts that get replaced with a new one when they quit functioning. Aftermarket replacements are generally cheap and reliable.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Voltage regulators have been part of most alternators for decades. I consider alternators to be "wear" parts that get replaced with a new one when they quit functioning. Aftermarket replacements are generally cheap and reliable.

Dan
Agree. That’s how I’ve experienced it.

As repugnant as anything “foreign-made” is to me…(I prefer anything U.S. over ANYthing off-shore),,,because it keeps an American family in shape to buy from other Americans. (Even a VW plant in the U.S. still banks the money at Deutsch Bank where it does little good here.) ***

But there is a degree of practicality that comes into play. The Chinese have a talent for copying things very well,…. and the alternator I bought for $80 …(as opposed to the Japanese OEM for $700)… has performed flawlessly now for 4 years and cannot be distinguished from it.
The cheap regulator I bought… I installed in the failed OEM alt which is sitting on the shelf for 4 yrs as a “spare”…. if ever I need it.

*** I admit there’s some “night and fog” going on here…as I pontificate about my Japanese-built tractor. :( Unfortunately…is there ANY 100% U.S. built tractor anymore? :(

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have had great success having alternators and starters rebuilt by my local guy.

Generally for about 85 bucks (give or take) which includes parts. Usually has about a 1 day turn-around time.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user