Upcoming on what did you do on your Orange

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Got surprised by a highway crew today. Went out and talked with them they are grinding out the road and replacing next week. Doing shoulders today. Just signed to be a milling dump for them. Free milling still I say stop. Wasn’t gonna do driveway work this year but now …. IMG_3217.jpeg
Probably have 4 loads today and it starts back up Monday

Reactions: 2 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Question for those who have use millings. I was planning on spreading 6-8” deep and rolling in with a vibrating roller. Is that sufficient or do I need to add a binder. Truck driver says wet with diesel. Neighbor says wet with diesel and burn. Road guy says just compact. I see binders for millings that you spray on. What are your recommendations?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You should find a spot where you can inventory some for the future. Millings are usually free but the trucking is the expensive part. You need to put them down in layers (lifts) and roll to compact. Once done, you need to back up the edges with soil so they are supported. You might consider cutting the soil down somewhat to accommodate the height that the driveway is going to be. Put the soil off to the side for other projects and start filling up the driveway with the millings. The drivers might even back down the new driveway and spread them as they pull forward. Makes spreading them out a lot easier. Spray with diesel to reactivate the asphalt that surrounds the small rocks. Rolling compacts the rocks to make a tighter surface. In the end you are going to have a great driveway and your only cost is time and fuel for the tractor and roller.