Turnbuckles

Rigger Dave

Equipment
L3301
Nov 11, 2016
Camden, NC
What are you all using to lube turnbuckles on the 3 point sway bars. Mine are getting sticky. Was going to use wd-40 but thought it might collect to much dust and dirt.

Dave

vinnyfish1

Equipment
BX18770.. G1800
Feb 16, 2016
Avon IN
I have been using silicone spray from liquid wrench. it works pretty good for me ... might need something better if you store it outside

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I don't lube the turnbuckles because I have a quick hitch but the points that I do lube on the tractor are first sprayed with WD40 oil to wash away the dirt and grime. After wiping away the excess spray oil I hit it with WD40 spray lithium grease. I typically do this once per month. In my experience there are no lube products that will not collect dust and grime. You just have to clean the lube points as well as you can and lube again.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Dry Molly spray. Amazing stuff,pricey to buy,but a little goes a long way,outlasts any other lube,is supper slippery and absolutely does not attract dust or grit

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Dry Molly spray. Amazing stuff,pricey to buy,but a little goes a long way,outlasts any other lube,is supper slippery and absolutely does not attract dust or grit
Switched to this from using anti-seze the silver stuff. Dry Molly cleaner to use.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
i got a bottle of grease/90wt sorta mix at tractor supply. Works great.

Does it collect dirt? maybe, but it works.

made 40 year old parts move like they were new, or better than new.

So far don't see any dirt accumulating. I also put grease all over the ends of the bars on the swivel balls (or whatever they're called).

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I use dry spray graphite. Found it to be fantastic, I use it any where there is metal to metal contack . tough to remove if it gets on your hands and you have to spray lightly or you'll have black powder all over. The big benefit it doesn't attract dirt to the metal. Napa carries it

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I use a 50-50 mix of chainsaw bar oil and tube grease. My adjusters on the M4500 are closed in the center so the threads in the adjuster sleeve aren't exposed. dust is only a problem on the exposed thread but I'd rather wipe off a little dust now and then than deal with the rust or sticky parts. Tried the WD/penetrating oil route, just dries out too fast and doesn't last.
I don't know what happens chemically when you mix bar oil with grease. But the cling agents in the bar oil react with something in the grease to make the most stringy/clingy stuff you've ever seen. I keep a little pail of it mixed up with a 1/2 inch paint brush in it. It gets used every where I don't want to use up my never-seize but need something more substantial than spray lube or oil.
Top link threads get a little touch of the same mix.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Not for nothing, but @hodge here on the forum made me some telescopic stabilizers and they are the shizzle. Price was right too - ;)

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
Spray some Krud Kutter on them to soak for a bit then use the garden hose to spray them clean of mud and crud. Once that is done spray with dri slide, that stuff drys and doesn't collet dirt from dust yet lubes the threads.

:D Al