TSA and the art of misinformation.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just got back from a business trip over the weekend which reminded me of the previous trip when I flew into/out of Knoxville, TN. The TSA had numerous photos of confiscated firearms, magazines and ammunition posted in the rat maze that funnels passengers through security. There were no photos of knives, scissors, drugs, liquids or any other confiscatable items, only firearms and related items. This had me wondering if TSA was trying to influence the public in some way.

Every poster had verbiage that sold the idea that the TSA employee was a hero and that a crime had been prevented that would have adversely affected other passengers. I found this to be disingenuous since the vast majority of firearms found in carry on bags are left there by mistake and not an attempt to hijack a plane or knowingly commit a crime.

This is not a political topic, at least I don't think it is.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I just got back from a business trip over the weekend which reminded me of the previous trip when I flew into/out of Knoxville, TN. The TSA had numerous photos of confiscated firearms, magazines and ammunition posted in the rat maze that funnels passengers through security. There were no photos of knives, scissors, drugs, liquids or any other confiscatable items, only firearms and related items. This had me wondering if TSA was trying to influence the public in some way.

Every poster had verbiage that sold the idea that the TSA employee was a hero and that a crime had been prevented that would have adversely affected other passengers. I found this to be disingenuous since the vast majority of firearms found in carry on bags are left there by mistake and not an attempt to hijack a plane or knowingly commit a crime.

I only have to say that someone has to be a fool to forget about a firearm in their carry on bag. They have confiscated my razor blades and a few pocket knives from me over the years, but who who try to slip a gun past security?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have no fear of flying, was an A@P mechanic so I know how safe they are, and I do understand that people have to fly for business.

But I hate being treated like a terrorist.

I stopped flying about 10 years ago due to people "barking orders" at me and basically "cavity searching me" and treating people like sh!t..............F That.

I had more fun, and was treated better, in Marine Corps Boot Camp than I was the last time I flew.

Now I drive, and if I can't get there by car, I find someplace else to go.

Back when "we were free" , I loved kicking back in the seat, reaching cruising altitude then firing up a Marlboro Red and telling the "hottie stewardess" to bring me a drink every 10 minutes until I start slurring my words,.......then bring them every 20 minutes. 🍸 ;)

Now it's some TSA/DHS/FBI/CIA/FEMA/EPA/FAA/FDIC/FDA/SEC/DOJ/FEMA.......etc..... Nazi yelling out "PAY ATTENTION.......TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES, BELTS AND PLACE ALL YOUR ITEMS IN THE THE BASKET.......WALK FORWARD AND PLACE YOUR FEET ON THE LINE......STOP, I SAID......SPREAD YOUR ARMS AND LOOK UP......HOLD STILL.........WALK FORWARD......." then you get your shit shoved at you, and walk around like a dipshit, trying to put yourself back together while looking for a seat to put your shoes back on.

Then you pass the "strip search area" where they have a lady that resembles "Aunt Bee" bent over a table as 4 thugs walk by because of their "DEI training".

On top of that they F'ing confiscated my "cheese dip" cause it was in a sealed Frito Lay container but was 3.2 Oz which is over their arbitrary 2.75 Oz limit for liquids.

I tried to explain that "cheese dip" is not a liquid, nor a solid really, but more of a "Non-Newtonian fluid"....but alas, she was not having any of that........ my "cheese dip" was gone......

Brings a tear to my eye.

1725300909157.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I only have to say that someone has to be a fool to forget about a firearm in their carry on bag.
A fool? How about human. People forget things all the time. They forget kids in cars, they forget a pot on the stove, and on and on. Many things are forgotten in low stress situations, but catching flights is stressful for many. Getting up early, concern with getting to the airport, getting through security, flight delays, short connection times etc.

I doubt many intentionally try to get a firearm through security. If a firearm is in their carry-on it's typically an oversight. Even checking a bag with a firearm can lead to trouble. For example, if the there's a cancellation that results in the need to pick up bags from baggage claim at a connecting airport in a state that has more restrictive laws. Or in the case of a flight being diverted to such an airport where once again bags need to be picked up at baggage claim. This has happened and people have been arrested for such a violation.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My guess is it is because the fines and penalties that are suffered when you carry a firearm in your carry-on bag are probably much greater than any other offense you could make. Therefore, they probably want to give a maximum warning to people hoping that they may help them avoid a big fine.

Might be more than that, but probably not meaningful to emphasize carrying a tube of toothpaste that is bigger than permitted or something along those lines.

Just a guess…

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My guess is it is because the fines and penalties that are suffered when you carry a firearm in your carry-on bag are probably much greater than any other offense you could make. Therefore, they probably want to give a maximum warning to people hoping that they may help them avoid a big fine.
That's an interesting perspective and one that I hadn't considered. (y) For someone to walk past all of those signs and not realize that they have a firearm in their carry-on they must think that they're not carrying a firearm in their bag.

I was at the airport in Austin, TX a few years ago and standing in the TSA line when I realized that I had a knife in my pocket. I always carry a knife and simply forgot to put it in my checked luggage. I got out of line, found a kiosk that was set up to mail restricted items and sent the knife to myself with a reasonable USPS shipping charge. The other alternatives were having a $100+ knife confiscated, or throwing it away, and neither option worked for me.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Maybe they are trying to influence perspective. Maybe they are trying to jog someones memory. All I can say is this:
I have a good friend that works for a contractor of TSA. Their rate of identification is not that good. I'm probably not allowed to say the percentage, but it's not good. Meaning, when they are tested under live circumstances, the agents fail to identify a lot of items they should be finding.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't fly that much. That being said, I can tolerate rules that don't make any sense to me. Of course, some airports are much easier to get through than others. It seems the rules can be quite a bit different depending on what equipment the airport has ... at least.

I'll say this though. I flew into/out of Paris and Seville this Summer. It seems their rules don't make a lot of sense either ... to me. Flying out of the US was no worries. Arriving into the US was a little crazy in that they were understaffed and a very slow process.

Personally, I don't think they are worried too much about efficiency in the US or France or Spain. I don't know about other countries.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Same as when they have drug dogs visibly posted to catch the bad guys using airports to smuggle. They do that all the time at San Diego. They have a job and they like to brag. Since they have a failure rate over 90% they gotta claim victory where they can

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Good day.

I understand what you are saying, and I don’t think this is a political topic but I can’t reply with out it heading that way. (I am not a fan of selective application of some of my favorite amendments and I’ll leave it at that…which of all the items that are non compliant contributed to 9/11? Box cutters and knives were legal then…so let’s stop large types of liquid / gel over 3.4 oz)

To me what is more troubling is that, before the boating accident(s)😉, I used to frequently travel to visit family (especially to Texas, but other states too) to hunt with family and friends….for all the news and vilifying of guns by the mouth breathers in the media, seems strange anyone can go pick them up at the claim area…or that has been my experience anyway. (I’ve heard it all when opening up the case at the counter from other passengers in line as well as the airline staff at check in…oh the horror a rifle or pistol that can’t can’t fire and is locked…I thought one lady (passenger/virtue signaler) was actually going to faint. I have not traveled by air with a rifle for a couple years, but at least as of back then I’ve never been asked for a claim ticket when I go to pick up at my destination (maybe that has changed recently?). Expensive case sitting their for pickup (different area than the luggage…it’s same if you have music equipment or photography equipment) but I was always worried if I could get to the claim area to make sure my expensive case, rifle and optic not picked up by someone else. Not very hard to tell which ones those are either. After about the first time of that I’ve had relative meet me at the claim area to make sure they are there before me and know what to look for (at least last time family friends could get to the claim area without a ticket)

Then to make matters worse I am not sure if the handlers were playing soccer or kicking field goals with my aluminum case but I sure hope the handlers had steel ties on so they didn’t hurt themselves.

I hope before the next time I have to fly on a hunt trip there has been some check added on the outbound side of the flight.

Last edited: