Trash in the fuel tank? (L3560 HST)

Russell L3560

Equipment
Kubota L3560 HST
Jul 20, 2024
MS
First time poster here. I have a 2020 L3560 with 200hrs. Occasionally the machine starves for fuel (seems to happen more with <1/4 tank). It tries to run but dies. Ive replaced the fuel filters and emptied my separator without luck.

The only thing that works is loosening the fuel cap and taking the line off the separator and blowing air back into the line until I can hear bubbling in the tank. From there it may run for a week or a hour. Not sure if there is a filter/sock in the tank, but that seems to be where my clog is. Curious if I should drain/flush the tank (not sure if there is even a drain plug). Also, not sure if my “clog” would even loosen up by pouring in fresh diesel/re-draining.

Im trying to avoid taking it to the dealer to drop the tank, etc. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Something is blocking the fuel pick up line in the tank. You have a couple of choices depending on your ability to tackle the repair yourself or pay the dealer a lot of $$$$ to fix the problem (notice the 4 dollar signs!). This is what I would do if it were my tractor, but not being familiar with your tractor, I don't know if this will work.
I would also consider a cold coffee filter in your tank inlet for the future. Buy it on Temu dot com to save a lot of $$. Search for cold tea filter

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Sure sound to me like you have found the problem.

If it were me, I would take the tank off and clean it out real well.

I would probably replace the fuel line from tank to filter, just to eliminate the possibility of it being the problem from "breaking down" (cheap insurance)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
1 simple thing you can do before pulling the tank off to clean it, is to make sure that the vent in the fuel tank cap is working properly. You might get lucky and find out that the vent is not working causing a vacuum in the tank when the tank gets low, not trash plugging the line. It’s a small chance that is the issue but an easy one to rule out. Easiest way to check is to loosen the fuel cap and let air into the tank when this happens and see if it solves the issue. The other thing you can do is to pop the rubber piece out of the cap and make sure the little hole is clean and not plugged.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wrench turning time !
fun !!
sounds like you've got some semi-floating-trash so
you'll need to pull the tank, properly clean it, reinstall
'properly ' clean means flushing the tank several times(5-6) with water,inspect with GREAT lighting, mirrors..whatever it takes to see the all the inside walls and top of the tank. when you're satisfied it's CLEAN, slosh some winter ww fluid in, drain, then 'blow dry' with compressed air, sit tank in hot sun for an hour or two,just to be 100% sure ALL the water is out.
also add a 'Mason jar cold brew ss filter' to the fuel inlet

I did this at 200hrs on my BX23S(random blockage was a sliver of black plastic), have 1300hrs now , ZERO fuel issues.

Is it a PITA job ? Maybe, ok yes, but treat is as a ONE time 'project', book 3 days, do it in 2 and done right, YOU won't have to do it again.

Not a wrench turner ? Dealer may charge 8-10 hours for the job(call and ask ! ), depending on what has to come off and back on.....Around here ,that's $130 per hour plus 13% to the guvs ! I figure I SAVED $150 per hour doing it myself.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
You might want to survey the situation before you commit to a plan of action. A borescope with a illuminated head on a cable that attaches to your smart phone would let you see inside the tank in detail. The scope is submersible, and it costs about $50. You can watch live and take photos/video. It could be you only have a small blob of stuff that could be sucked out.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You might want to survey the situation before you commit to a plan of action. A borescope with a illuminated head on a cable that attaches to your smart phone would let you see inside the tank in detail. The scope is submersible, and it costs about $50. You can watch live and take photos/video. It could be you only have a small blob of stuff that could be sucked out.

Good suggestion. I used one of those scopes in the tank of my old Moline while back. Worked great.

Not familiar with an L3560, but on some models a faulty lift pump can cause fuel starvation when the fuel tank is low.

Last edited: