Tractor wont start.

tractor boy 88

Equipment
L175, S3300 backhoeabd loader, U 25 mini exc.
Sep 26, 2024
Carthage, In
L 175 I just purchased ,it qas running .I powerwashed tractor . I started it up after. I forgot and left ignition on all night. Battery dead next morning. Charged up and tried starting. I engaged glow plugs first then tried starting , won't start. Checked all connections . Acts like no fuel or no spark oe elctrodes . Need help

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Does any smoke come out of the exhaust while you are cranking it over? If so, what color? If not, then you have a fuel delivery problem. We need more details to help troubleshoot.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
if you don't have it, there's the WSM for free at www.kubotabooks.com
last page has wiring for L225 which might be similar ? it has 3 fuses........

I'd check the voltage at the glowplugs to confirm they are working. it looks like they're in series ,so if one is bad, you won't get ANY to heat up = spin but no run

tractor boy 88

Equipment
L175, S3300 backhoeabd loader, U 25 mini exc.
Sep 26, 2024
Carthage, In
No smoke from exhaust. I'll work on injection tomorrow. I'll check voltage as well. I disconnected wiring and cleaned contacts. I left a fan on it over night just in case it's a moisture issue.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When you turn the key to the on position, you should hear a single distinct click along with continuous fast clicking sound. That would be the fuel shutoff opening up and the fuel pump operating. Listen for those sounds and report back. BTW, you should also hear a single distinct click from the fuel shutoff closing when you turn the key off.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok if it was running fine then it should be relatively easy to get it running again.

Since it is new to you I will start with basic information.
It is diesel so has no ignition system. It runs on diesel fuel, not gas (which I see in your post but this is a misspelled word). But gas won’t get a diesel to run so don’t put any gas in the tank!

I assume you probably know how to start it but will go through the steps (assuming it is still wired up like it came from the factory- which is a BIG assumption).
Turn key to first position (run position) There are two additional positions for headlights low then high.
Set the fuel lever back (pull to rear) about half way (just to be sure).
Push the clutch pedal down.

Turn the knob (on right side of dash) to the left and hold it there. Turns on glow plugs.
Count off a good 10 seconds.
Before you get to 10, pull out the decompression knob (black choke looking knob on the left side of dash).
Release the glow plugs and then turn same knob to right to crank the engine (and also power the glow plugs).
Engine should spin at a fast speed and then release (push in) the decompression knob.
Engine should fire off quickly.
Adjust throttle to idle

I suggest you will probably need to clean all ends of both battery cables (4 total ends), maybe replace the battery, maybe replace the starter, maybe adjust and lubricate the decompression mechanism on front of engine, maybe inspect the glow plug circuit and replace the glow plugs and indicator. You may want to replace the air filter.

If your tractor has a different wiring scheme (wiring is hacked up), take some pictures of the dash for advice.

Reactions: 1 user