Tractor and loader manuals contradict

WillyBill

Equipment
M5660SUHD, LA1154SU w/3rd Function
Mar 25, 2021
Northwest Tennessee
M5660 operation manual page 50 says don’t operate boom and bucket cylinders simultaneously.

IMG_4942.jpeg

LA1154 loader operation manual page 9 indicates simultaneous operation is standard procedure.

IMG_4943.jpeg

What is the correct procedure?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Use them simultaneously whenever and wherever you choose.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
M5660 operation manual page 50 says don’t operate boom and bucket cylinders simultaneously.
Yes, I have noticed discrepancies like that on my L48 documentation also. I won't try to quote any instances, but they are there...seems kind of goofy that the tech writers can't get on the same page.

Doug

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
You missed a word, it says "When using the tractor hydraulic to POWER front loader. do not operate boom and bucket cylinders simultaneously"

The bottom right is ONLY powering the up (releasing pressure from the curl). Says the same....

For the record, you can do both power up and curl - IF there is NOTHING in the bucket (or very light).

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You missed a word, it says "When using the tractor hydraulic to POWER front loader. do not operate boom and bucket cylinders simultaneously"

The bottom right is ONLY powering the up (releasing pressure from the curl). Says the same....

For the record, you can do both power up and curl - IF there is NOTHING in the bucket (or very light).
When doing power up and curl the output from the lift cylinder is supplying pressure to the curl cylinder and the load on the lift cylinder is the sum of boom and bucket loads. Both functions will stall when the inlet pressure at the lift cylinder hits the relief valve setting.

Dan

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
When doing power up and curl the output from the lift cylinder is supplying pressure to the curl cylinder and the load on the lift cylinder is the sum of boom and bucket loads. Both functions will stall when the inlet pressure at the lift cylinder hits the relief valve setting.

Dan
Notice the drawing near the bottom, (and circled in red) showing the decal has the bottom left position blanked out. That would be the up and up position and the instructions make an attempt to explain it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Notice the drawing near the bottom, (and circled in red) showing the decal has the bottom left position blanked out. That would be the up and up position and the instructions make an attempt to explain it.
I understand the operation fine. The lift and bucket cylinders are operating in series which means the two loads are additive. It works fine but you will get reduced force on both lift and curl.

Both operations will stall when the combined loads causes base end pressure on the lift cylinders to reach relief pressure.

Dan

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
In practical operation you can lift and curl simultaneously unless the load is pretty close to max. If you’re lift/curling and it stalls, it sometimes works to do the operations separately as that provides a bit more power for each function since the available power is dedicated to one function only. In my admittedly limited experience with only a few tractor loaders, the only time a lift/curl won’t work but a separate lift then curl will work is very near the max capacity of the loader, so not particularly common to make any practical difference.

Academically, an interesting discussion. In practice, not very impactful in my experience. YMMV.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
In practical operation you can lift and curl simultaneously unless the load is pretty close to max. If you’re lift/curling and it stalls, it sometimes works to do the operations separately as that provides a bit more power for each function since the available power is dedicated to one function only. In my admittedly limited experience with only a few tractor loaders, the only time a lift/curl won’t work but a separate lift then curl will work is very near the max capacity of the loader, so not particularly common to make any practical difference.

Academically, an interesting discussion. In practice, not very impactful in my experience. YMMV.
That combined operation is central to leveling the bucket during loading operations and I use it all the time. I think Kubota makes way more out of it than appropriate.

Curling a loaded bucket does not impart a huge load and is not typically impactful to lifting force.

Breaking a buried bucket out is a different situation. There the combined breakout forces from curl and lift can easily exceed the force available from the boom cylinders by a very substantial amount. In that case using just one function will start the ball rolling and once the first function is in progress the second can be added with as you say minimal impact.

For those so inclined the actual force calculations are very simple.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
That combined operation is central to leveling the bucket during loading operations and I use it all the time. I think Kubota makes way more out of it than appropriate.

Curling a loaded bucket does not impart a huge load and is not typically impactful to lifting force.

Breaking a buried bucket out is a different situation. There the combined breakout forces from curl and lift can easily exceed the force available from the boom cylinders by a very substantial amount. In that case using just one function will start the ball rolling and once the first function is in progress the second can be added with as you say minimal impact.

For those so inclined the actual force calculations are very simple.

Dan
The L35 op man, and I suspect others, actually tells you to do it. As others have said, I think Kubota is telling us nothing is wrong on those few occasions when things stall.
Screenshot_20240716-130929-599.png