Tomorrow is mowing day!

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Last time I mowed my meadow (+/-1,5 acres) was in May 2022. The only opportunity I had in 2023 (I work abroad, now in Haiti) was in early September, but at that time it was so humid that when I tried, the wet grass blocked the flail mower after 20 yards (it catches the grass, and that sticky, wet mass stops up the machine).

We've had the wettest, darkest autumn, winter and spring here since meteorological observations began in the 1830s, but for the last six days it's been dry and windy , so tomorrow is M-day at last! After two years the grass is three feet high and very dense, with a mat of dead vegetation at root level and some brambles mixed in for good measure, so both the BX and the mower will get a good workout! The sky is clouding over though, so I'll make a human sacrifice to the weather gods for no rain, or at least not before tomorrow evening.

To prepare the BX, it'll get its 50-hour maintenance in the morning.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Where is your meadow? I assume not in Haiti?

Just curious. Not planning to come and cheer you on! 😂
@Daylight may confirm, but I think he is across the pond in Europe?

I see his BX model is a BX231, which is not an US or Canadian model to my knowledge.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last time I mowed my meadow (+/-1,5 acres) was in May 2022. The only opportunity I had in 2023 (I work abroad, now in Haiti) was in early September, but at that time it was so humid that when I tried, the wet grass blocked the flail mower after 20 yards (it catches the grass, and that sticky, wet mass stops up the machine).

We've had the wettest, darkest autumn, winter and spring here since meteorological observations began in the 1830s, but for the last six days it's been dry and windy , so tomorrow is M-day at last! After two years the grass is three feet high and very dense, with a mat of dead vegetation at root level and some brambles mixed in for good measure, so both the BX and the mower will get a good workout! The sky is clouding over though, so I'll make a human sacrifice to the weather gods for no rain, or at least not before tomorrow evening.

To prepare the BX, it'll get its 50-hour maintenance in the morning.
Best wishes in your endeavor. Will definitely make that BX work, but it’s up to the task.

Go slow and keep a close eye on the temperature gauge.

Clean the screen on the radiator should the temperature begin to escalate.

You’ve been around OTT for a while and are a good contributor. I doubt you’ll have any problems.👍

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Better keep an eye out for fawns.

I try not to mow any more than necessary until August when the fawns are bigger and can follow 'momma' around. When newborn or for the first week to 10 days, they just lay hidden and won't move.

Easy to run one over. And that is one sick feeling....believe me.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Last summer while cutting my friend's fields I had a couple of fawns running ahead of me. I was very careful to keep an eye out for them and thankfully didn't hurt either of them. The growth was around 3ft tall at most and a perfect place for fawns to hide out. I would be very upset if I injured or killed a fawn.

lvr_m60_3.jpg

lvr_m60_4.jpg

lvr_m60_7.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

I try not to mow any more than necessary until August when the fawns are bigger and can follow 'momma' around. When newborn or for the first week to 10 days, they just lay hidden and won't move.

When a kid on the dairy farm, we would get a fawn on occasion. Was rare, but happened.

Thankfully, we used a sickle bar mower so it gave a lot of opportunity for them to escape. Modern haybines aren’t as forgiving. They travel a lot faster now too.

Not disparaging the equipment; just a fact.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Ahhhh, that was awfully nice! The weather was much better than yesterday; sunny and open, a cool 74F with a crisp, dry breeze, aka perfect tractor weather! The 4-foot tall grass was a bit too much to mow in a single pass, so if the weather holds I'll do a second cut after the weekend, with pick-up.

It was big fun, and while driving I realized how much I had been missing this! 23 months to retirement...

Apologies for the wrong camera date...

ANMP0094.jpg
ANMP0092.jpg
ANMP0097.jpg
ANMP0099.jpg

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Henro,

I'm afraid there's not much meadow left in Haiti... Mine is in the tip of southern Belgium, half an hour from Bastogne, 4 miles from the border with Luxembourg.

Always welcome to cheer me on - lots of good beer and white wine... ;)

Where is your meadow? I assume not in Haiti?
Just curious. Not planning to come and cheer you on! 😂

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Indeed, the BX231 is strictly for the European market - don't ask me why!

@Daylight may confirm, but I think he is across the pond in Europe?

I see his BX model is a BX231, which is not an US or Canadian model to my knowledge.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Ahhhh, that was awfully nice! The weather was much better than yesterday; sunny and open, a cool 74F with a crisp, dry breeze, aka perfect tractor weather! The 4-foot tall grass was a bit too much to mow in a single pass, so if the weather holds I'll do a second cut after the weekend, with pick-up.

It was big fun, and while driving I realized how much I had been missing this! 23 months to retirement...

Apologies for the wrong camera date...

View attachment 131676 View attachment 131677 View attachment 131678 View attachment 131679 *
That Ortolan T10 is neat. If you get a chance, could you share more photos from different angles?

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I get foxes, the occasional wild boar and adult elk, but no fawns: there's a destruction errr development on the other side of the village that has seriously impacted wildlife venturing out of the forest.

Local farmers do have to watch out though.

:cry:

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
mcmxi,

It's dark now and the tractor is stabled, but you'll get them either tomorrow or early next week, depending on when I crank it up for the second cut.

That Ortolan T10 is neat. If you get a chance, could you share more photos from different angles?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro,

I'm afraid there's not much meadow left in Haiti... Mine is in the tip of southern Belgium, half an hour from Bastogne, 4 miles from the border with Luxembourg.

Always welcome to cheer me on - lots of good beer and white wine... ;)
I’ve been to Belgium a few times and always enjoyed the beer. It’s one of my favorite places actually…

Not sure I’ll make it back again, but if I do… Perhaps we could enjoy a beer together!

Don’t hold your breath though…LOL

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
The forecast for the coming week looked ugly (there's a thunderstorm raging while I write this, and it's supposed to rain frequently until the end of the coming week), so this morning I did the second cut (and no, the first cut is not the deepest...). Took me six hours (of fun!), as having to drive back and forth to dump the grass is very time-consuming, but the only way to keep it manageable.

Care for a game of golf, anyone?

20240629_172452.jpg

Now my trusty servant can rest...

20240629_172855.jpg

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
You'll be more than welcome! Beer(s)'s on me...

I’ve been to Belgium a few times and always enjoyed the beer. It’s one of my favorite places actually…

Not sure I’ll make it back again, but if I do… Perhaps we could enjoy a beer together!

Don’t hold your breath though…LOL