Thoughts or advice on Betsco Flail Mower 42 inch

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
Looking for advice or opinions on betsco flail mower. Will be using with BX 2370? Price at $1450. condition looks very good.

If you have do you like? Is this fair price?

Thanks

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
I have owned the Betsco 42" and 48" "medium" duty flail mowers. I used the 42" on the BX and the 48" on B2601, and LX.

If you are using them for around the house, they will do a good job. They are 100% Chinesium. I would rate the build quality as "poor to acceptable", but they function quite well. Both of the ones I owned left a really nice cut. I loved that I could bring them through the woods for brush maintenance, and that they did a wonderful job on thick overgrown grass, even with hammer blades. Leaving nearly a finish cut. Way better than the rotary cutter.

When I use my brush hog, I often hit a lot of immovable objects, I just don't get the feeling that mashing the betsco into something would go well. Whereas, the brush hog just shrugs it off. Keep extra belts on hand. I think for their price point, they are valued well, and do a great job cutting. But if I'm going off my property to my family or friends, I bring the rotary.

these flail mowers are NOT quick hitch compatible, without doing some work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
Thanks B737. We have 20 acres but we only cut 1 acre or so with mmm. The flail would be more for trails. We have rocky ground so i dont know if flail is better than brush hog. I like idea of flail as to not throw rocks and such. Looking to see how well it would hold up.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Chinese bolts break easily when you encounter a rock or something solid. I keep spare flails and good grade 8 bolts from McMaster Carr on hand. Mine is a 60” bought in 2015. I should just replace all the bolts but am too lazy

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
I agree yooper ive had similar, soft hardware, zirks that break off ect

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
Thanks for advice and thoughts. It is 48 brush most likely land pride rs1248 or the flail as they are similar price point. I think.

First time tractor owner

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
When I use my brush hog, I often hit a lot of immovable objects, I just don't get the feeling that mashing the betsco into something would go well. Whereas, the brush hog just shrugs it off.
Yesterday I noticed the Del Morino leaving a 1" wide swath of uncut grass near the center of the cutter. Upon further inspection I found that the hammer in that location has a corner curled up from hitting a rock or similar. Other hammers have all manner of damage too. I'm yet to be convinced of the validity of the sales pitch which claims that small hammers with less inertia react quickly to rock strikes and are able to pivot out of the way resulting in less damage,. Don't get me wrong, the flail is an excellent mower to have, but it has its limitations too.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
If you ever get into road bank mowing, or boom mowers a flail mower is considered a finish mower. They don't do very well with rocks, branches ect. Even with the hammers they have a pretty high upkeep if your going to hit rocks and larger heavier objects with them. It was one of the things I really disliked about the ferri flail mower I used foe the township. Constant upkeep to get a decent mow quality. The rotary boom mowers needed a pretty big rock to stop them from cutting, and typically would demolish the rock half the time. Didn't typically need to carry spare blades with the rotary either. It did look like crap after you mowed with the rotary mower. Very corse finish. The flail left a real nice finish even with heavy hammers on it.

Code2medic

Equipment
L4060
Jul 8, 2022
Tn
I went with titan inc out of TN for those wondering its also a hydraulic side to side i keep it set for 3.5 in high to avoid rock damage. But i will say it has gone far beyond my expectations and done a fabulous job

here is a few shots yes it left stripes 😁

one of the pic shows 1 pass mind you the right side was hit with a rotary the left side untouched hay

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I went with titan inc out of TN for those wondering its also a hydraulic side to side i keep it set for 3.5 in high to avoid rock damage. But i will say it has gone far beyond my expectations and done a fabulous job

here is a few shots yes it left stripes 😁

one of the pic shows 1 pass mind you the right side was hit with a rotary the left side untouched hay
Very nice and obviously a high quality flail from Titan Implement who are known to make excellent products, not to be confused with Titan Attachments out of China. (y)

Reactions: 1 user