*Thinking* about tractor operating

BozenBota

Equipment
LX2610; RCR1542, FDR1260, BSS54P, PFL1242, STB1072, MacKissick TPH123, SCG0660
Jan 9, 2022
Capital Region, NY
So I’ve been thinking about this post for a bit: What is in your head when operating to preserve your tractor long-term?

Im thinking mainly the tractor and loader (ie as opposed to other implements), and when operating (ie as opposed to maintenance, storage, trailering, etc.).

I may be entirely naiive to the things — especially the little things — that damage what are really durable machines, especially over time and repeated use, and so I need to say that in preface. And of course there’re times and reasons to push and abandon general rules. Also, I do regret if this has been covered in another post and would stand down from further discussion here of that’s the case.

But here’re some of my practices:

-smooth operation over all else is inherently best—probably informs this entire post: avoid abrupt loader movement (jiggling when dumping, hitting the movement stops, abrupt up/down movement), hydrostat engagement, PTO engagement, etc.
-keep front loader arms as low as possible, especially with a load, and regardless of roll or pitch angles
-in general, run at higher RPMs, but match engine speed to task, and avoid lugging engine
-warm up machine (eg so that temp gauge elevated above cold) before placing even modest loads on the drivetrain; in hot weather, allow to idle a bit after working (ie to accelerate system cooling)
-with a non electric, non foot clutched PTO, engage PTO implements gradually
-strenuously avoid torquing loader arms side-to-side with off-center loads; load front loader implements as evenly across loader arms as possible
-with any heavy load (pulling, climbing hills, on the loader, on the PTO, etc.), slower travel speed is best—same on uneven, “jouncy,” ground
-avoid extremes—of loader angles, steering angles, loader or 3pt lift capacities, travel speeds, operating terrain, etc.

If you’re at all like me, a mental framework goes a long way, in multiple senses. So I’m curious the group’s thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
So I’ve been thinking about this post for a bit: What is in your head when operating to preserve your tractor long-term?

Im thinking mainly the tractor and loader (ie as opposed to other implements), and when operating (ie as opposed to maintenance, storage, trailering, etc.).

I may be entirely naiive to the things — especially the little things — that damage what are really durable machines, especially over time and repeated use, and so I need to say that in preface. And of course there’re times and reasons to push and abandon general rules. Also, I do regret if this has been covered in another post and would stand down from further discussion here of that’s the case.

-smooth operation over all else is inherently best—probably informs this entire post: avoid abrupt loader movement (jiggling when dumping, hitting the movement stops, abrupt up/down movement), hydrostat engagement, PTO engagement, etc.
-keep front loader arms as low as possible, especially with a load, and regardless of roll or pitch angles
-in general, run at higher RPMs, but match engine speed to task, and avoid lugging engine
-warm up machine (eg so that temp gauge elevated above cold) before placing even modest loads on the drivetrain; in hot weather, allow to idle a bit after working (ie to accelerate system cooling)
-strenuously avoid torquing loader arms side-to-side with off-center loads; load front loader implements as evenly across loader arms as possible
-with any heavy load (pulling, climbing hills, on the loader, on the PTO, etc.), slower travel speed is best—same on uneven, “jouncy,” ground
-avoid extremes—of loader angles, steering angles, loader or 3pt lift capacities, travel speeds, operating terrain, etc.

If you’re at all like me, a mental framework goes a long way, in multiple senses. So I’m curious the group’s thoughts.
Great topic. I try to avoid the abrupt movements but I do jiggle the backhoe to empty the bucket. Totally agree with you about side-to-side loading the loader arm and I try to balance loads ... if I'm picking up a rock I try to center it. My rule of thumb is to warm up the engine enough so that the temp gauge comes off the peg and hits the very first line, but I've started creeping along on a cooler engine which I'm thinking I should stop doing. I never thought about idling before shutting off. Slow speed yes. I don't worry about steering angle. I regularly try to pick up things or dig things the loader or backhoe can't handle but I don't intentionally jerk it. I'll use the backhoe to work a stump but I don't bash it. Kubota hydraulic oil and coolant, high quality (Shell Rotella synthetic) engine oil, inner air filter.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Hard to say exactly, but the words "abuse" and "proper usage" mean different things to different people.

I consider mine to be "well used", but I am quite sure some would say it's "abuse".

I do not warm it up "much". Maybe a minute or 2 in the winter, but in the summer, I usually just "crank and go". ( I do use the block heater below 55'ish)

I try to keep it at around the 2k mark for the rpms, but some "more delicate" maneuvers require me to throttle down.

For "safety" sake i keep my loads as low as possible, however, admittedly I do "push the envelope", in regards to "off center/twisting loads"

I also "shake the shit" out of my grapple and back hoe to get the "junk off"

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520, Rtv-520 and all LandPride implements
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

You’re not alone, good maintenance, and conscious operation usually goes a long way. I for one have payments on a new tractor and it is a big investment for me and probably many others. I like to go outside and jump in a tractor that’s clean, greased, and well maintained/ operated and have piece of mind that it should serve me many years HOPEFULLY

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
For me, over the years I’ve learned couple things. Most important is doing all I can to preserve the life and health of the operator! Do all you can to UNDERSTAND what is safe and what is dangerous when operating the tractor. And don‘t forget "unimportant“ things like hearing protection, seatbelt & eye protection.

In the initial post, you pointed out a lot of things that are good practices. One that specifically comes to mind for me is NOT to backdrag with the bucket tilt cylinders fully extended. If the bucket catches on some thing, the cylinders are in the weakest physical position for a compressive force situation. If the bucket catches on something you can end up with bent tilt-cylinder rods.

Reactions: 1 user

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Do what you have to to get the job done. When something breaks fix it. 🤷