The musings of an old man

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Please forgive the flash back Friday if you will. Coming out of town this after noon, a song came on the radio, The Weight.
And I looked in the rear view mirror and there was a dark haired young man, hair cut high and tight, with more fat in his cheese burgher than on his frame.
And the water bottle in the center arm rest was a 4 speed pistol grip shifter, and the sound of a big block mopar rumbling in the back ground. Life was good and times happy.
The song played, and the girls and fun and stupid things he did flashed back ,and for a short second in time, there was a 168 pound brash young man facing the world, his war behind him, and new battles to win ahead.
The song ended, and 55 years flashed by, to an old man in a battered pick up.
Life is funny sometime, the mind is a wonderful and fearsome thing.
Enjoy your weekend and stay safe

Reactions: 11 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Yep. It’s amazing how some great ol songs can take one back it time. For me, it’s mostly the Big Hair bands of the 80s. Led Zepplin does a good time travel for me.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Damn you Skeets! Been reliving the past with old songs now for a half hour so far it seems...was planning to get something done this afternoon...Steppenwolf, Meatloaf, and so on...

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - while I think you have some years on me, I can relate.

Driving home other night a song came on that reminded me of former school buddy and coworker. He and I worked and played pretty hard….

Bill’s favorite song….“Man on the Silver Mountain” by Ritchie Blackmoor’s Rainbow. Ronnie Dio doing vocals before or after he was with Black Sabbath. Bill and I met Ronnie a few times as his cousin was a waitress with us in his hometown.

I immediately pictured Bill and I drag racing….67 and 71 Chevies. My Cherry Bombs just hooowwwling….😎

Bill passed away 20+ years ago…. I qualify for Office for Aging programs….😢

Was a flashback. I think I got my truck up to 75 just listening to it….then got back to reality, and 55….😟

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Time is just an illusion we really don't have much even if we're one of the lucky ones. My dreams of owning a 70 Hemi Cuda have faded however the love affair still lingers. Just take them old records off the shelf, I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself, some things never grow old. Have a great weekend folks!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - while I think you have some years on me, I can relate.

Driving home other night a song came on that reminded me of former school buddy and coworker. He and I worked and played pretty hard….

Bill’s favorite song….“Man on the Silver Mountain” by Ritchie Blackmoor’s Rainbow. Ronnie Dio doing vocals before or after he was with Black Sabbath. Bill and I met Ronnie a few times as his cousin was a waitress with us in his hometown.

I immediately pictured Bill and I drag racing….67 and 71 Chevies. My Cherry Bombs just hooowwwling….😎

Bill passed away 20+ years ago…. I qualify for Office for Aging programs….😢

Was a flashback. I think I got my truck up to 75 just listening to it….then got back to reality, and 55….😟
I’m probably not smart enough to link that tune, but here we go…..

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I'm looking forward to listening to music from my youth and reliving some fond memories of those days gone by, when I gen this back on the road in the next 3 or 4 weeks. after a 10 year long restoration.

IMG_20240622_132657278_BURST000_COVER.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Lady Gaga ain’t that old, but I thought when she teamed up with Metallica years back at the Grammy awards she did an excellent job….ok, maybe just her dancing and metal outfit. 😂😂

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Skeet’s, I consulted with a digital friend to make sure guys like us were normal… I was assured that we are! Along with being boomers I guess we’re also MEAMers! :ROFLMAO:

“Yes, it’s completely normal to experience vivid memories or flashbacks when hearing certain songs. This phenomenon is known as “music-evoked autobiographical memory” (MEAM)."

I’m sure you’ll sleep better tonight now that I’ve answered a question you never asked…😆

• Haha

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
And sometimes there's no need for a music trigger.

A few years ago I was nearing home thinking about one of the Camaros that I owned many years earlier. As I approached the right turn, my left foot went for the clutch and my right hand reached for the shifter so I could gear down. Only thing is I hadn't owned a vehicle with a manual trans for a long time.

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sort of 100% different but along the same lines…

When I got my Kubota B2910 around 23 years ago, when I went to back up my Ford E350 van, instead of putting it in reverse, I kept pushing down with my right heel on the floor to back up…