Switching from Cable to Frontier Fiber Optic Network.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I will be switching next week from charter cable to Frontier Fiber Optic, and I have recently learned that I need to either rent or buy my router and satellite system pieces or rent them from Frontier. I am not familiar with any of this equipment and when asking a friend who already has a fiber optic system he recommended the NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK653). Opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks Dusty

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm currently renting a modem and wifi router from our fiber company.

When we were in our rental, we had a fiber modem, and plum/plume wifi system and extender.

It came with up to 3 extenders depending on the size of the house. The first one connected to the modem, and the rest of the modules just plugged into a 110 wall outlet so they had power.

What was handy about it was the app for the router. Once set up, you could set up permissions for any devises that were connected. I had my grandson set up to kick him off the internet at midnight so he was less apt to pull an all nighter when he stayed over 😬😬😬😬😬

I seem to have more distance and coverage with the wifi router supplied by the fiber company.

Router and modem are in one of the cabinets under the camper. And signal suddenly drops off at about 200ft away 👍👍👍👍

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My fiber, provided by the power co-op, uses a Calix GigaSpire, which is a combo modem/gateway and wifi router with 4 wired ethernet ports. It's in a small house and has worked flawlessly without extenders, but they could be used. There's an app called CommandIQ that you can use to monitor and configure it. The only problem I've encountered is trying to control 2 networks with one email account.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I will be switching next week from charter cable to Frontier Fiber Optic, and I have recently learned that I need to either rent or buy my router and satellite system pieces or rent them from Frontier. I am not familiar with any of this equipment and when asking a friend who already has a fiber optic system he recommended the NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK653). Opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks Dusty
We switched from COX to Frontier about 6 weeks ago. At the time Frontier had a deal $25/mo (with auto-pay) for 50mb, about $20 more for 1gb. All the equipment was included, including a wifi router that they just left here - I have my own wifi equipment on our lan.
We just got the internet from them (saving $130/mo with MUCH faster speed

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
That netgear is pretty good. I personally prefer tplink products as ive had better longevity with them.

whats you main usage. Just web and streaming?

sometimes its worth it to rent from the company if you just dont want to deal with it. They will set it all up and make sure its good coverage etc