Stumped

Crawlintoy1

Equipment
2012 L2800
Sep 23, 2024
Sandston, Va
I've got a 2012 L2800HST, And it blows a ton of black smoke when running, even at idle. It's also getting fuel into the oil. If it runs for more than a few minutes it also wont shut off, i have to pinch off the fuel line coming out of the filter and it eventually dies. i've replaced all 3 injectors, so i know they're good. i've bench checked the shut off seloniod, and it seems good. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but not super well versed in diesels. I know black smoke is usually too much fuel? Any ideas what to look at next?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Black smoke?

I wouldn't start throwing parts at it - - figure out what's going on with some diagnostics.

Sounds like there could be one or more things going on. Did all this happen suddenly all at the same time?

Look at parts diagrams at Kubota Tractor Corporation - Illustrated Parts List (kubotausa.com)

Do you have a Workshop Manual? If not, get one. Try kubotabooks dot com.

Where did you get the injectors from? Some aftermarket injectors are junk, per other MUCH smarter folks here on OTT.

Sometimes diesel getting into the oil pan is from a bad seal in a mechanical fuel pump.

Screenshot 2024-09-23 160858.png

Since it won't shut off, there could be some electrical issues with the switch or solenoid. I'm not familiar with the switch or solenoid on a L2800HST.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Also, where did you get the replacement injectors?

It’s been said here often that aftermarket injectors are very risky.

Hopefully you got the injectors from a reliable source. Obviously the replacement injectors are not the source of your problems since it existed before you replaced them. But low quality replacement injectors could be adding another issue that is not apparent at the moment.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is your engine oil rising in level?

When you say “won’t shut off”, do you mean that it will just continue to idle after you turn off the key? Or do you mean the RPMs are increasing and it won’t stop running?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, where did you get the injectors?
And lack of Air can also cause it to run black.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Also, where did you get the replacement injectors?

It’s been said here often that aftermarket injectors are very risky.

Hopefully you got the injectors from a reliable source. Obviously the replacement injectors are not the source of your problems since it existed before you replaced them. But low quality replacement injectors could be adding another issue that is not apparent at the moment.
Did you read what RCW wrote Today at 4:30 PM? Just in case you didn't see it............

Where did you get the injectors from? Some aftermarket injectors are junk, per other MUCH smarter folks here on OTT.