stripped bolt to drain transmission fluid

Gdadof6

Equipment
BX 2380
Jul 14, 2024
Largo, FL
I have a kubota bx 2380. It's been great for years!

I decided to do the 150 hour maintenance myself to save some money.

I wanted to drain the transmission fluid. I turned the transmission drain bolt the wrong way and stripped the threads.

All the Transmission fluid is now drained but i cannot put the bolt back into the transmission.

It's been real hot here in FL. I guess I was having a senior moment when I turned the bolt clockwise instead of ccw to remove the bolt to drain the transmission fluid.

Any advice on my next step?

Bob

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a kubota bx 2380. It's been great for years!

I decided to do the 150 hour maintenance myself to save some money.

I wanted to drain the transmission fluid. I turned the transmission drain bolt the wrong way and stripped the threads.

All the Transmission fluid is now drained but i cannot put the bolt back into the transmission.

It's been real hot here in FL. I guess I was having a senior moment when I turned the bolt clockwise instead of ccw to remove the bolt to drain the transmission fluid.

Any advice on my next step?

Bob
At the risk of starting another thread repair war: Helicoil it.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yup. It's not holding pressure. Heli Coil (or just tap it to the next size plug of the appropriate type- crush washer, O ring, etc)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Call first, ask around, to see who HAS installed LOTS of Helicoils and 'pay the piper'. If you do it, wrong, once the clouds of 'four letter words' clear theair, you'll be taking it there anyway. Sometimes it's best to let the professional do a job.
While it's not that hard( I've done 2, maybe 40 years ago )....WHY take a chance ? You might have another 'senior's moment'.......

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
how long was the break over bar that was used to tighten that plug until it ate the threads out of the case? I'm curious. 4 foot? Cheater pipe?

helicoil should work but it has to go in squarely or it won't seal properly.

I did one many moons ago where a customer botched the heli-coil and I just removed the insert and tapped the hole with a NPT tap, installed a NPT plug and called it good. Never leaked a drop.