Still trying to trouble shooti no start no crank problem

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
I started a new thread to emphasis a new question.

I have a new battery with 13.6 volts, new cables and ends, all fuses are good. Ordered new safety switches for clutch pedal, PTO and HST pedal sensor. Seat switch is OK.

I am now searching out the other possible culprits using using the wiring diagram. I am trying to locate the Engine Stop Solenoid, Starter Relay, ECU, and seat tilt switch.

In the attached photo of the relays under the dash instrument panel I need to know what each of the four relay units do (e.g., their functions).

I have a full service manual and wiring schematic but no labeled images of these relays. Which is which?

I know one is the starter relay and wonder which is the fuel shut off circuit and what the rest are. Any ideas? Thanks !

The image of the broke down Kubota on the steep hill is simply for sympathy purposes
IMG_6179.jpeg

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have you checked this guy?

1720370694209.png

1720370748790.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
To see what relay is what, write down the color of wires going to one, then check the wiring diagram for which relay has all those wires.
Looks like only 4 relays, so shouldn't be too hard a job.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Turn the key to run and jump the starter solenoid.
Does it crank?
Does it start and run?

Reactions: 1 users

Matchstick

Equipment
Kubota L3400
Jan 17, 2022
North Idaho
My L3430 puked out smoke and stopped. Ended up being a main fuse by the battery. It was cracked open for years and probably just corroded. There is a 30A glow plug one in there too. They are large squareish fuses called cartridge fuses....not your average ones. See if when you turn the key on it clicks after 5 or 10 seconds to let you know the glow plugs heated up. Could be the glow plug one. My 2.5 cents worth.

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
To see what relay is what, write down the color of wires going to one, then check the wiring diagram for which relay has all those wires.
Looks like only 4 relays, so shouldn't be too hard a job.
Thanks! Will do.
My L3430 puked out smoke and stopped. Ended up being a main fuse by the battery. It was cracked open for years and probably just corroded. There is a 30A glow plug one in there too. They are large squareish fuses called cartridge fuses....not your average ones. See if when you turn the key on it clicks after 5 or 10 seconds to let you know the glow plugs heated up. Could be the glow plug one. My 2.5 cents worth.

thanks

I check all those fuses and all is good. Gave them a visual inspection then a meter test as I have had fuses that looked good but were bad in the pasr

On a wiring diagram I saw an inline fusible link. Not sure if my tractor has one of those.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I need some back story to what Exactly happened to lead to this.

Was it running and just died, was it parked overnight?

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
Try jumping the starter and see if it runs.

Very simple procedure, use a screwdriver with insulated handle to jump from small post (spade) to big post (battery cable) at the starter

If it doesn't work..... It might be the actual battery cable itself, test voltage with multimeter from starter motor to battery

Other possibilities could be a bad ground wire, bad battery (load test) or even the good old OPC, wires like to corroded there at the plug

Hope this helps

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

Very simple procedure, use a screwdriver with insulated handle to jump from small post (spade) to big post (battery cable) at the starter

If it doesn't work..... It might be the actual battery cable itself, test voltage with multimeter from starter motor to battery

Other possibilities could be a bad ground wire, bad battery (load test) or even the good old OPC, wires like to corroded there at the plug

Hope this helps
Did you read his posts? He said he put in a new battery and cables. Said that it cranks over when Wolfman asked about crossing the starter.

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
I need some back story to what Exactly happened to lead to this.

Was it running and just died, was it parked overnight?
the story:

a couple weeks ago I was using the RDTH 84 finish mower to clip the pasture. When I got down the steep slope it ran out of diesel. My fuel gauge is faulty.

I put in 5 gallons and it cranked a bit to bleed the injectors, normally a very simple procedure as I do it often. Then it stopped cranking. I had issues before with the positive cable so I up graded it, took the battery out and load tested it and it was bad. O’Reilly replaced it under warranty. I reinstalled it with cable and new cable ends and those red/green corrosion control washers. I check the short black ground cable with an Ohm meter.

Voltage at starter cable connection at starter was 13.6 volt. The I could not get any readings off the instrument panel. I missed the small cable to the positive terminal, so after that was remedied the gauges worked.

Only problem is no crank at the new Kubota ignition key. Cranks good by jumping across the stater solenoid with ignition key on and the gauge panel reads “Depress Clutch” and “Error 20”

Error 20 is explained in a note on the wiring diagram as an HST part installed in a non HST tractor, or something like that????

I pulled all the safety switches to clutch pedal, HST pedal, seat and PTO. My attempts to jump across those switch circuirs still did not allow engine cranking across the key.

Tropical Storm Beryl’s torrential rain is blowing through here so working out on the tractor has to wait

My next step will be to pull and bench test the four relays under the instrument panel. Then find and test the Engines Stop Solenoid and its relay.

I over looked two items that I need to investigate. The seat tilt switch. My seat is after market and does not tilt. I need to find out what I on installation with tilt switch wires.
My other concern is I read somewhere that the HST pedal needs to be in neutral to start the engine. Might be my problem all along.

Wolfman. I appreciate your help. Years ago you coached me through power beyond on this tractor. Back then my email was dirtpiranha.

Hope this helps

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
the story:

a couple weeks ago I was using the RDTH 84 finish mower to clip the pasture. When I got down the steep slope it ran out of diesel. My fuel gauge is faulty.

I put in 5 gallons and it cranked a bit to bleed the injectors, normally a very simple procedure as I do it often. Then it stopped cranking. I had issues before with the positive cable so I up graded it, took the battery out and load tested it and it was bad. O’Reilly replaced it under warranty. I reinstalled it with cable and new cable ends and those red/green corrosion control washers. I check the short black ground cable with an Ohm meter.

Voltage at starter cable connection at starter was 13.6 volt. The I could not get any readings off the instrument panel. I missed the small cable to the positive terminal, so after that was remedied the gauges worked.

Only problem is no crank at the new Kubota ignition key. Cranks good by jumping across the stater solenoid with ignition key on and the gauge panel reads “Depress Clutch” and “Error 20”

Error 20 is explained in a note on the wiring diagram as an HST part installed in a non HST tractor, or something like that????

I pulled all the safety switches to clutch pedal, HST pedal, seat and PTO. My attempts to jump across those switch circuirs still did not allow engine cranking across the key.

Tropical Storm Beryl’s torrential rain is blowing through here so working out on the tractor has to wait

My next step will be to pull and bench test the four relays under the instrument panel. Then find and test the Engines Stop Solenoid and its relay.

I over looked two items that I need to investigate. The seat tilt switch. My seat is after market and does not tilt. I need to find out what I on installation with tilt switch wires.
My other concern is I read somewhere that the HST pedal needs to be in neutral to start the engine. Might be my problem all along.

Wolfman. I appreciate your help. Years ago you coached me through power beyond on this tractor. Back then my email was dirtpiranha.
What is the OPC?

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
Wolf man

Here is the story: not sure if my first reply went through.

A couple weeks ago I was using the Bushhog RDTH 84 finish mower to clip the pasture. When I got down the steep slope it ran out of diesel. My fuel gauge is faulty. I knew that.

Voltage at starter cable connection at starter was 13.6 volt. Then I could not get any readings off the instrument panel. Blank. I missed the small cable to the positive terminal, so after that was remedied the gauges worked.

Only problem is no crank at the new Kubota ignition key. Cranks good by jumping across the starter solenoid with the ignition key on and the gauge panel reads “Depress Clutch” and “Error 20”. But no engine start.

I pulled all the safety switches on the clutch pedal, HST pedal, seat and PTO. My attempts to jump across those switch circuirs still did not allow engine cranking across the key.

I over looked two items that I need to investigate. The seat tilt switch. My seat is after market and does not tilt. I need to find out what I did on installation with those tilt switch wires.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
the story:

Not all safety switches are 'on' to start the engine. It's a combination of some on and some off.

the story:

The engine stop solenoid has nothing to do with the starter not running.

Do you have a HST or GST transmission? Error 20 is only for the GST transmission, does not appear for HST.

1720536854700.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
That 'comm error' is probably for the pita CAN bus network.....
There 'should' be some kind of 'reset the network' command though don't hold your breath....

I'd disconnect the battery at least 1/2 hour, then reconnect,turn key on and see what happens.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not all safety switches are 'on' to start the engine. It's a combination of some on and some off.

The engine stop solenoid has nothing to do with the starter not running.

Do you have a HST or GST transmission? Error 20 is only for the GST transmission, does not appear for HST.

View attachment 132396

OP list his tractor as HST.