So much for calling for prices

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
While I was out today I stopped at one of the local dealers to pick up a couple buckets of SUDT2. When the young lady rang it up the total was considerably less than what I was given when I called them last week. Maybe I should buy a Powerball ticket....

Dan

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Did you tip? 😂

Perhaps they quote "List Price" and charge a discounted price...

I dropped a wad at the dealer for the 400 hour service parts/fluids, rear remote, front third function, etc. The Super UDT2 was something like $138 for 5gal and the rear remote was possibly "at cost" given what I paid.

The quoted price on the block heater though....now I like supporting my local guys, but the additional expense on just that one part was a steak dinner with the g/f. (all other parts were "reasonable" or lower)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Did you tip? 😂

Perhaps they quote "List Price" and charge a discounted price...

I dropped a wad at the dealer for the 400 hour service parts/fluids, rear remote, front third function, etc. The Super UDT2 was something like $138 for 5gal and the rear remote was possibly "at cost" given what I paid.

The quoted price on the block heater though....now I like supporting my local guys, but the additional expense on just that one part was a steak dinner with the g/f. (all other parts were "reasonable" or lower)
There are three dealers within 30 minutes of me and two of them are within 5 minutes of each other. I got the exact same price from two of them and never called the third. Why quote a customer a price higher than what you actually charge at the parts counter?

Dan

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
There are three dealers within 30 minutes of me and two of them are within 5 minutes of each other. I got the exact same price from two of them and never called the third. Why quote a customer a price higher than what you actually charge at the parts counter?
For some brands contractual agreement says dealers cannot advertise prices lower than MSRP, I do not know if that applies in this case.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
While I was out today I stopped at one of the local dealers to pick up a couple buckets of SUDT2. When the young lady rang it up the total was considerably less than what I was given when I called them last week. Maybe I should buy a Powerball ticket....

Dan
How much per 5gal pail?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
For some brands contractual agreement says dealers cannot advertise prices lower than MSRP, I do not know if that applies in this case.
Answering the phone is not advertising. Messicks posted online price is a few pennies higher than what I paid. I think that qualifies as advertising.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You deserve it.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
Besides,they're not losing money at that price.
May your good luck continue!

Trust me - I have no doubt they are doing quite well in the profit department!!! Things seem to be fully recovered from the pandemic days and the lot was full of bright shiney orange toys of all sizes as was the CNH/Kubota dealership thats just a few mile down the road.

Dan

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
people talk about how bad the pandemic was on economy

in the tractor/powersports/camper/boat business that was not the case for sure, and I worked right through it-and enjoyed the extra cash! 2020/2021 was a HUGE sales and service improvement over 2018/19. Record numbers.

anyway, i wonder if it's possible that the prices of udt2 are coming down some?? I am doing Polaris now and polaris fluids are starting to come down too. Was $21/quart for PS-4, now I think around $20. Still high but the trend is heading downward-which I think is important.

Also for those that don't know, dealers can often order fluids (oils) on a special oil order and get pretty significant discounts. For instance at the kubota dealer we'd calculate the previous year's oil usage (say for 70000-10101), say we sold 1093 of those (I think that was 2019's numbers). Add about 10% to that to cover the next year's worth of projected usage and during the special ordering period, we'd get free shipping on it, plus discounted bulk pricing, plus other discounts for having elite dealer status, etc. So if dealer cost on 70000-10101 is "normally" $8.00 (and it's not.....just used as an example), add in the shipping (1 case of 4 ships for, say, $20, so divide by 4 to get $5 ea) now that $8 turned into $13/ea. But if you don't have to pay shipping, and you also get bulk discount, and elite discount, it may only end up at $7.00/ea but in most cases dealer still sells it at MSRP, which is roughly the same for every dealer (say, $20/ea MSRP). Maybe, just maybe the dealer Dan bought his SUDT from got that fluid on a discount and priced it accordingly? Dunno. But now those of you who wondered how some dealer internal stuff works, you now know. Ther'es more to it but that's the nuts and bolts of it.

In 2020 (IIRC) we ordered 1093 of 70000-10101, and I can't remember how many 70000-10000 ;). 48' truck FULL of palletized oil. The parts manager was ecstatic to see all of it piled up behind the parts room. Most of it was used in the shop. Ironically, when I left, the new place buys it in totes and we pump it out which is about $2/quart less expensive.

Reactions: 1 user