Snow Blower PTO Shaft Wobble

CraneAir

Equipment
Kabota, BX 23
Jan 17, 2024
Mancelona, Michigan
I just bought my 2004 BX23 (700 hours) and have my front mount blower connected to the mid PTO. When engaged there seems to be quite a bit of wobble in the drive shaft. It doesn’t shake or vibrate, it just visibly seems to have a lot of wobble. Is this considered normal due to the length of the shaft, or does it sound like the shaft needs to be balanced? Thanks for your knowledgeable replies.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I just bought my 2004 BX23 (700 hours) and have my front mount blower connected to the mid PTO. When engaged there seems to be quite a bit of wobble in the drive shaft. It doesn’t shake or vibrate, it just visibly seems to have a lot of wobble. Is this considered normal due to the length of the shaft, or does it sound like the shaft needs to be balanced? Thanks for your knowledgeable replies.
Which shaft appears to be wobbling? There's 3, right?
The mid-pto shaft, the sub-frame shaft, and the PTO shaft connecting to the blower.
My blower connection removable PTO shaft at the front does appear to wobble" but only the black plastic covers are wobbly looking. I don't attach those covers to the frame with a little chain like my other rear pto shaft implements' pto shaft covers. So it rotates at 2500rpm with the rest of the shafts and rattles around a bit doing that. I've run it now in its 7th winter with no play in the U-joints showing up from that plastic shaking a bit.
Bu if any of your U-joint bearings for the PTO shafts front and rear, or the pillow box bearings for the subframe idler shaft show any sign of play, fix them. I had to replace my pillow block bearings in the subframe last year after 6 winters of work.
GREASE LUBE ALL THE U-JOINTS AND BLOCK BEARINGS, AND PTO SLIDER SHAFTS---
---FREQUENTLY AND REGULARLY.---
with a good quality cold weather capable high speed bearing-friendly grease.
I always do mine after the snow blower assembly comes off, just before putting it back on the tractor again. It's way easier to lube up when off the machine.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Most likely the universal joints (cross bearings) are worn and need to be replaced. The shaft isn't balanced on the tractors and I have never seen a solid shaft PTO ever balanced. The ends are welded in place and there is no balancing required.
Also, check the bearings in the quick hitch power unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeesh, 2500 rpm shaft SHOULD be balanced, but heck, then ujoints wouldn't blow apart and make dealer any money....

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
Most likely the universal joints (cross bearings) are worn and need to be replaced. The shaft isn't balanced on the tractors and I have never seen a solid shaft PTO ever balanced. The ends are welded in place and there is no balancing required.
Also, check the bearings in the quick hitch power unit.
It can be done. When I had my replacement mid-PTO shaft built, I requested that it was to be balanced since it turns at 2500 RPM.