Small yard beautification project

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Had to excavate some of the banking behind our log home addition to allow for clearance with machines, etc., a few years ago. Addition came out great and other homeowner things took precedence for the last few years, the last being a bout with cancer last spring/summer. This year, back to “normal” whatever that is at 74 years old…
Anyway, time to make that banking look more presentable with a small retaining wall with planting box (tomatoes and cukes!) and some flowers. Last thing will be to put down some geo-grid where we walk and a path with sitting area to the fire pit.
First pics are of the retaining wall/planting box and the second is of the present work on a continuation of the retaining wall on the driveway side of the propane tank. This side will be a bit more work as the banking is much steeper. Just excavated what I think I will need to for the next walls. Will be using 6x6 pressure treated here as well. Oh, by the way, I’m using my BX25D for this work! Just purchased a BXPanded tooth bar for this project and it’s making cutting into these bankings much easier!

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Had to excavate some of the banking behind our log home addition to allow for clearance with machines, etc., a few years ago. Addition came out great and other homeowner things took precedence for the last few years, the last being a bout with cancer last spring/summer. This year, back to “normal” whatever that is at 74 years old…
Anyway, time to make that banking look more presentable with a small retaining wall with planting box (tomatoes and cukes!) and some flowers. Last thing will be to put down some geo-grid where we walk and a path with sitting area to the fire pit.
First pics are of the retaining wall/planting box and the second is of the present work on a continuation of the retaining wall on the driveway side of the propane tank. This side will be a bit more work as the banking is much steeper. Just excavated what I think I will need to for the next walls. Will be using 6x6 pressure treated here as well. Oh, by the way, I’m using my BX25D for this work! Just purchased a BXPanded Ext tooth bar for this project and it’s making cutting into these bankings much easier!
Next section of wall…

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice work.

I am considering doing something similar to that for storage behind the "pole barn"

I am caught between using vertical 4x4's sunk into the ground below the frost line, and those "tie in's" like you used.

My retaining wall will be about as tall as yours in your 1st set of pics.

The "tie in's" look much better, but I might be using it to store vehicles/firewood totes and am concerned with strength.

I wonder if I am over-thinking it, since most of the load will be "down" not "out".

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Thanks! Yes, it’s easy to overthink a job but the more you do think about it, you will be sure you’re doing it the right way, whichever you choose. It’s not rocket surgery and with these little workhorses, a lot easier than digging and moving dirt by hand! I’m kinda fortunate that my entire property is pretty much SAND with zero rocks to contend with.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
First pics are of the retaining wall/planting box and the second is of the present work on a continuation of the retaining wall on the driveway side of the propane tank. This side will be a bit more work as the banking is much steeper. Just excavated what I think I will need to for the next walls. Will be using 6x6 pressure treated here as well. Oh, by the way, I’m using my BX25D for this work! Just purchased a BXPanded tooth bar for this project and it’s making cutting into these bankings much easier!
Great job and use of "deadman" anchors. I see so many walls that fail without them.

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
e embankmen
So those "deadmen-" are pretty strong?
Strong enough for a low wall like this.
On my next (higher) wall the dead-men will be full 6x6 and embedded in the embankment with rebar driven down into the earth. The smaller ones have a rebar driven through as well. This will outlive me, I’m sure.

Reactions: 2 users