single acting ram hooking up to float valve on m108s

kluke

Equipment
108s
Jun 12, 2024
oklahoma
I have claas disco 32 hay mower i am hooking up to my 108s tractor. my question is this i have it hooked up to the b port of the float and everything seems to work as it should. The mower dealer said that it should be put into float when the hay mower is down. In the instructions for hooking a single acting to the float valve says to not put it into the dentent for float as it will overheat the transmission fluid. I am not sure if i am misreading this or over thinking it. Any help would be appreciated.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have claas disco 32 hay mower i am hooking up to my 108s tractor. my question is this i have it hooked up to the b port of the float and everything seems to work as it should. The mower dealer said that it should be put into float when the hay mower is down. In the instructions for hooking a single acting to the float valve says to not put it into the dentent for float as it will overheat the transmission fluid. I am not sure if i am misreading this or over thinking it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thsts an interesting question and I am not 100% sure I know the answer. AFAIK that tractor is an open center fixed displacement system and the remotes are DA tandem center parallel sections.

So.....

When any DA valve is shifted to lower position (pressure down) and only one outlet is connected to the implement you are deadheading the pump and the relief against the unused outlet. Thats what you want to avoid/minimize.

When the valve is shifted to float both outlets are connected to tank and the implement will lower under the force of gravity just like any single acting valve. The cylinder is free to move in both directions and the implement can follow ground countours.

Now the less than 100% part. AFAIK when the valve is in float the incoming pump flow is not blocked. It is flowing freely through the neutral core in the valve and out the power beyond port just as it does when the valve is in neutral.

Based on that I dont see any potential for overheating when locked in float. There is a very real potential for overheating if the valve is locked in pressure down.

Are you sure you read that right?

Dan

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I ran into this situation when I recently bought a Land Pride RC3712 folding cutter (batwing) . It only has one hose for the center cylinder, and one for the wings which are connected to one outlet on each of two rear remotes. The wings need to run in float mode which is similar to the situation with that Claas mower.

The center deck height is set with spacers, so obviously, once the deck is down I release the control lever (SCD) and it rests in the center position.