similar steering setup to an RTV

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co
Hi folks,
Can anyone tell me what other tractors / machines Kubota has that has similar steering setup as a 2006 RTV1100? I'm having some trouble with mine, and can't find a book for it. I've looked at kubotabooks. I'm betting that there have got to be a few machines that are similar enough, I might be able to use the book on that. Thanks!

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co
It's hydrostat steering pretty much all the rtv and bx have that setup with a controller and a cylinder. What problems are you having?
BX! Thank you. That's what I needed to know.
This is an older (06-07 maybe) RTV1100 I took the engine (and hydrostat) out to to overhaul the engine. That all went fine. I put it back in, and now one of the hoses coming off the hydraulic pump is stressing, the system is pressuring out, and killing the engine within 30 seconds or so. Lots going on here. The hydraulic pump is a double (main/aux or front/rear) pump mounted on the accessory pad of the engine. I'm assuming the rear or aux powers the V plow, and the front section is the main that runs the steering and dump. It's that hose that's stressing and I'm assuming that system that's pressuring out. The BX manuals on kubotabooks seem to be exactly what I have.
Oh and also, when the engine is running, however briefly, when I turn the steering wheel, the wheels do turn but I get significant feedback or chatter in the steering wheel.
Something weird is going on, and I'm just trying to figure out exactly what :)

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I thought they might share chassis with the Kawasaki Mule, but the Mule has electric power steering (or no assist at all - it was optional). So the Mule manual wouldn't help you with this issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm assuming the rear or aux powers the V plow, and the front section is the main that runs the steering and dump. It's that hose that's stressing and I'm assuming that system that's pressuring out.
Your assumption is wrong, the pump is 2 sections main hydraulics and steering Hydraulics.
The steering section only runs steering nothing else.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The hydraulic pump is a double (main/aux or front/rear) pump mounted on the accessory pad of the engine. I'm assuming the rear or aux powers the V plow, and the front section is the main that runs the steering and dump. It's that hose that's stressing and I'm assuming that system that's pressuring out.
The steering is supplied from the rear section of the tandem pump. The front section is supplying the hydraulic lift and blade.
I suspect that you have the blade control in constant pumping which is to run a rotary broom or blower only.

One of the buttons may be stuck down, the master solenoid valve stuck, or a damaged harness.

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co
North Idaho Wolfman and whitetiger, you're absolutely right! That front section of the pump is just plow. Here's a vid of what's going on; pressuring out at about 5K psi.

I said in the vid, it's the steering, but it's not, it's the plow. Crappy thing is, I can't get any info from my dealer about that attachment. I went down again to talk to him this morning, and he told me that the attachments are "hit and miss" as far as documentation goes. WHAT?? I guess those orange things don't cost enough to warrant generating documentation? Sounds like BS to me. I just sent him more pics and the link to my lovely video. Its bad enough that maintenance manuals can cost hundreds of bucks, but when they're not even available? Ugh. I hope he comes back with something.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
pressuring out at about 5K psi.
5K psi. :eek: That sounds like it is dead-headed.
This unit's hydraulics worked fine until you removed and reinstalled the engine, correct?
Are you sure you did not plug the hydraulic hose to keep it clean and forget to remove it before reassembly?
Is there a tag on the valve package for your plow that lists a Vxxxx number? If I had the option number, I could download the installation instructions.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It it right that it's dead heading without engaging any remote valves right?
I'm wondering if the piping to the remote valve got swapped?

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co
All possible! I just got the manual from the dealer last night. First thing I'm going to do is make sure it's connected right. Although, by what I'm reading, that is Murphy proof, but we'll see. Also, there is a 3rd hose connected to the plow that I never understood its purpose. That hose goes to the dump, so this circuit powers the dump too (I believe one or 2 of you may have said that hah). So I'm going to put a gauge in that circuit. The dump may be causing this, although I doubt it. Either way though, there is a relief valve in the plow that is supposed to open at 2300 psi no matter what,
so 5K should NEVER happen, So thats where I'm going to start. I'm going to open that relief first.

Ster1

Equipment
RTV 900
Jan 6, 2024
Denver, co
Fixed. Before I tell you what it was, I'll tell ya what I did. Now that I got the manual, I can see a pressure line heading back to the dump valve. So, first, I put a gauge on that line, back by the valve. Pressured out on my gauge at the pump, but next to nothing on that gauge by the dump valve. The quick disconnects on the plow block are gendered in such a way you can remove the plow and keep running the machine. The line from the pump connects to the line going back to the dump valve(that 3rd hose I was talking about), and the return you just tie it up out of the way, and put that dust cap on it. Ran that way just fine. Dump works, no pressuring out. So then I normalled it back up, and backed off that main 2300 psi relief all the way. Still pressured out. WTH? I decided to take the QD itself out of the equation, and connect the line directly to the block (had to adapterize a bit). Eureka! Of course, nothing at all happened because I had the relief pulled all the way out, but it ran and no pressuring out. I dialed some pressure back in, and everything works like a charm. That !#$%& quick disconnect was somehow blocking flow and pressuring it out. What a cluster! Anyhow, thanks all for trying to help. I've seen those quick disconnects leak, and not connect at all, straight up break, but never seen one be able to connect fine and intermittently block flow. This was a new one on me. Peace out.