Sigh, I need to tap one of my lug holes. Any advice?

Jaymo

Aug 27, 2019
Ulster County, NY
Hi All,
I did something I never thought I would do. My back wheel nearly came off after some overly industrious brush hogging on a rocky area. I win the biggest idiot award of the month.
All things said, the inner wheel well is replaced and all but one of the new lug nuts are back on, but one lug hole (for the headless screw is not screwing in.
I am assuming I need to tap this to get a clean thread. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am assuming I find the right size tap with correct thread number to start. But I'm worried about not getting the new threading straight. Am I using a hand drill. Seems fishy.
Any advice, even a recount of your own experience would be very helpful.
Thanks

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't know if it will hold the torque, but if it will, I'd try a heli-coil.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to get to five posts and post a picture of the damaged hole.

The best case scenario would be to get a thread “chaser” that just cleans and reforms the existing threads.

A thread tap could be used but it would want to remove material from the hole. The material has already been removed to properly form the threaded hole. You would end up with “imperfect” threads which would work but not have the full strength of the original. (Which isn’t the worst thing on the planet)

If too much material is already missing from the hole (threads are stripped out and are in the old bolt threads) then you cannot re-thread the existing hole back to original threads. In this case you will have to use a threaded insert (Timesert, Helicoil… )

One other option may be to just use a nut instead of a threaded hole in that position. But then you need a longer bolt and clearance on the backside for the nut to swing 360 degrees around the axle (and not rip something else off the tractor)

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How does a back wheel come off while brush hogging? Rocky area doesn't matter. I'm missing part of the picture. Show us some pictures to complement your word description.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Thread chasing or tapping should be done by hand so that one can feel when to back off. The tap or chase should be held by a handle made for the cutting part. The routine is to start and make sure the tap is in sync with the thread cutter, turn forward carefully a partial or full turn, and then reverse so as to expel the spoil. Thread cutting oil or regular light oil is needed for an easier job.

A picture of what is there will get more specific advice.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
For sure, do it by HAND....NO power tools !!!!

Find out the correct size of the bolt, something like 1/2-20 , 1/2" diameter, 20 threads per inch.
Use the other side, same bolt ( 'headless screw' )...take to store

2nd..Buy the 'tap' that's for that bolt size

patience, oil and some light blasts of air ( to clean out the hole)

oh yeah, read the first line again.....