Setting up WoodMaxx chipper.

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Just uncrating WoodMaxx MX 8800. Most robust boxing/palletizing I have ever seen. Of course after unboxing, saw that the 3 pt was facing the wrong way so will need to turn it around with pallet forks to expose approach for the 3 pt. It is bolted to the pallet and am thinking of mounting pressure treated skid plates to bottom of frame once I lift it off the pallet to keep the steel frame off the ground. Seems like a no brainer but am I missing any potential pitfalls in doing this? Wonder if this will mess with PTO linkage height or other issues. My first PTO implement so will need to figure our shaft length,hookup and PTO function. As always, all suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Just uncrating WoodMaxx MX 8800. Most robust boxing/palletizing I have ever seen. Of course after unboxing, saw that the 3 pt was facing the wrong way so will need to turn it around with pallet forks to expose approach for the 3 pt. It is bolted to the pallet and am thinking of mounting pressure treated skid plates to bottom of frame once I lift it off the pallet to keep the steel frame off the ground. Seems like a no brainer but am I missing any potential pitfalls in doing this? Wonder if this will mess with PTO linkage height or other issues. My first PTO implement so will need to figure our shaft length,hookup and PTO function. As always, all suggestions appreciated.
The chemicals in pressure treated wood might be corrosive, they recommend corrosion-resistant screws. How about a plastic piece?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I welded up a steel frame on mine using 2x6 steel tube that allows me to grab the chipper with forks on all four sides. Makes storage easier. The wide base stops the chipper from sinking into the ground while chipping. The added weight also dampens vibration.

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
I welded up a steel frame on mine using 2x6 steel tube that allows me to grab the chipper with forks on all four sides. Makes storage easier. The wide base stops the chipper from sinking into the ground while chipping. The added weight also dampens vibration.
Thanks PoTree and Mike. Appreciate the feedback. Hadn't considered the PT wood corrosion issue. That's important for fasteners but I had nor considered contact with the steel frame. Perhaps bolting on a plastic pallet, or instead, strips of plastic flooring/membrane a "gasket" between wood and steel. Thanks guys. Now I just have to figure out cutting PTO shaft to length. Another educational hurdle for this newbie.