seeding after land clearing

drygulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525, ever changing attachments
May 30, 2024
Georgia
www.ebay.com
I've been slowly clearing land along our larger creek. It was pasture in a previous life, but had been let go for probably 15 or more years before we got it.

In the areas I cleared in the past, some type of grass eventually filled in. I've been considering expediting it this time with some seed if I can get something budget friendly. Looking at maybe 1+ acres at the moment that won't be used for grazing or anything.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks,

Greg

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

I think a lot probably depends on your location and soil. What I have been doing as I clear a path, or even for the areas we plant cache crop, I contact a local seed place and look at their mixes (call if questions) for what I am doing. Pheasants forever / quails forever have an online order site but their stuff is pretty pricey. I’ve not bought from them but their site does identify if their mix matches different USDA wildlife programs that prescribe what you need to have in the mix…so that is helpful, pricey, but helpful. They are very helpful on the phone too.

Are you wanting to attract any specific wildlife or maybe want flowers or something for pollinators air just something to mow? Hard to go wrong with a rye grass, but depending on your goals maybe want something else?

If you have a local grainery, you can usually get the basics there in whatever batch size you need…they will
Measure out (at least they don’t here).

UGA also has helpful extension service.

Good luck. 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
got any local bee keepers ? if so ,plant clover, let them put hives up next summer....you get free honey.....

Reactions: 1 user