Screaming belt on M5N-091

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Nothing too serious just odd..... the belt that runs the alternator and AC pump is screaming sometimes but not always. 99% sure it's that one as the other one runs the fan and water pump and Is pretty unlikely to slip.

I think it's slipping on the AC pump and what's odd is by the AC pump there is a non adjustable tensioner that is nowhere near the belt..... but it's not adjustable. The belts good and tight though but maybe needs that extra push under? It just started doing this today and it's extremely hot and humid.

Could the filters be plugged in the cab and it's doing what they call "slugging" the pump whare liquid comes back the low pressure side?

Whats most likley here, the AC seems to be working fine and the battery isn't going dead. It's hard to track intermittent issues.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Nothing too serious just odd..... the belt that runs the alternator and AC pump is screaming sometimes but not always. 99% sure it's that one as the other one runs the fan and water pump and Is pretty unlikely to slip.

I think it's slipping on the AC pump and what's odd is by the AC pump there is a non adjustable tensioner that is nowhere near the belt..... but it's not adjustable. The belts good and tight though but maybe needs that extra push under? It just started doing this today and it's extremely hot and humid.

Could the filters be plugged in the cab and it's doing what they call "slugging" the pump whare liquid comes back the low pressure side?

Whats most likley here, the AC seems to be working fine and the battery isn't going dead. It's hard to track intermittent issues.
You are wrong about the tensioner. It is adjustable.
After loosening the nut part of #170 , bolt #180 moves the pulley to increase or decrease the belt tension.
I Would suggest removing the belt and make certain the tensioner pulley and Compressor pulley rotate smoothly. Putting a new bely on and then adjusting the tensioner will give you the greatest chance for success. If the belt has been slipping it becomes glazed and worn with less friction where needed
Dave
M5N-091 AC belt tensioner.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
See this thread that discusses an investigation into the pulley. May not be exactly the same but it seems like a similar situation on the belt and pulley arrangement.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
You are wrong about the tensioner. It is adjustable.
After loosening the nut part of #170 , bolt #180 moves the pulley to increase or decrease the belt tension.
I Would suggest removing the belt and make certain the tensioner pulley and Compressor pulley rotate smoothly. Putting a new bely on and then adjusting the tensioner will give you the greatest chance for success. If the belt has been slipping it becomes glazed and worn with less friction where needed
Dave
View attachment 132503
Were both wrong, what I'm looking at is an idler to prevent belt flutter, that's why it's not adjustable. The tensioner is in a different spot lol.

I'm gunna check for plugged cabin air filter too that could be slugging the compressor.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
You can check the filters but they are unrelated to the compressor.
That's the thing, they actually are related. If they are plugged then the coil in the cab freezes up and then liquid gas returns to the suction side of the compressor causing a large load increase which slips the belt if it's at all slack.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
That's the thing, they actually are related. If they are plugged then the coil in the cab freezes up and then liquid gas returns to the suction side of the compressor causing a large load increase which slips the belt if it's at all slack.
If you feel that they are related, how come you have been posting about this for 5 days and you still haven’t checked them? They are simple to do.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
If you feel that they are related, how come you have been posting about this for 5 days and you still haven’t checked them? They are simple to do.
Just alot to do and that tractor never stops much. I got time to tighten the belt more.... although it's like a guitar string and still occasionally slips.