School me on Zero Turns, please

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
We have moved onto a larger parcel and I think it is time for a zero turn. I have an L4300 to bushhog about 5 acres of fields and I have been finish mowing ~4 acres with my B7100 HST and a Woods Rear 48" finish mower. I feel like I am wide open and going quick, but it still takes me around 4-5 hours to get just the finish mowing done . I have lots of open area, but then I do have some trees, although none are spaced closely together. I have a double gate to access a fenced in area. I have almost no slopes to worry about. I thought I wanted a 72" to get it done as quick as possible, but after reading last night, I think a 60" would serve me well.

I usually like to buy used, low hrs/miles when making a larger purchase, but am open to new as well. I am not set on Kubota, but certainly willing to consider it. I read Kawasaki makes a better engine than Kohler, but have no idea if that is true. Are there any key things I should be aware of when selecting a ZT? Type of engine, hp, type of fuel feed system, etc? I have read plenty that a welded deck beats a stamped deck, which makes since. I think I would like to keep it around a $5000-$6000 purchase. I plan to cut about once a week with it and hope to make it last 10-20 years.

Last edited:

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not gonna be much help but I have a friend that recently traded in his Kubota ZD series on a Ferris - mainly due to the fact the 5 acres he had to mow wasn't super smooth (old pasture) and the Ferris had full suspension.

Just something to consider if you want to mow as quickly as possible I suppose.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Seat and suspension are things to consider when buying. Also make sure the transaxle is serviceable. My dad had a 60in gravely. Transaxle was a pull and toss design and couldnt be rebuilt. One side cost $900 :eek: He had bought the machine second hand for $1200.

My two acres is far from smooth. Opted for one with a suspension seat. Works well for me. But my wife has back troubles, and the bouncing irritates her. Course, I forgot to show her how to adjust the seat tension. :eek::rolleyes:

dsi182

Jun 28, 2017
New York
I own a 48" Ferris. It's a good machine. If buying with a Kawasaki engine get the FX model, it's commercial, the FV is more of a homeowner engine. If your looking used check out crankyape.com. Look under lawn and garden, there are some repo's on there. Also, insurance totals so check the info carefully. Actually there is a kubota on there now. For info I just purchased an 1870 with the fine cut deck but honestly the ferris is a nicer cut so I'm keeping that too. If my wife notices the difference it must be pretty obvious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have a pretty similar land situation. I mow the pasture with the B2910 and I use the ZT for the remaining property. The ZT is much faster than the tractor, easier to maneuver, gives a cleaner cut and won't rut the yard.

If you want it to last 10 to 20 years make sure you get a commercial grade mower (welded deck as you mentioned, beefier pulleys, etc). My Toro Zmaster is 16 years old with 1,200 hours and still runs strong. I have serious doubts the Toro models sold at the big box stores would last that long.

All the newer models seem to have a foot pedal to control the deck height, which I would like to have to help prevent scalping at one particular drop off I have, but that may not be important for you if your lot is flat. In fact, you may look for used without the foot control to save money since a lot of people want the latest features.

Craiglslist and the like can be great for used, but take a look at the dealers too. A lot of pros trade in their equipment on a regular basis, so you can occasionally find a deal on used at the dealer - granted it may have a lot of hours if it was used professionally.

Definitely make sure the seat is comfortable. Mine is comfortable at a stand still, but has no suspension so you feel every little bump. Arm rests are important too.

I like my Toro, but I've heard great things about Gravely, Exmark and Ferris. Around here it looks like most of the pros use Toro, Gravely and Skag.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have an Exmark Lazer Z with 60" deck and a LZX801KA606 Kawasaki engine on it.

funny as it uses the exact same air filter as does my L4600 only the Kubota does no use the inner filter as does the Exmark.

I really enjoy the mower and the deck size is perfect for my cutting conditions. Maybe 2 to 21/2 acres with some tress but mostly open.

It does not do well in wet conditions as ditch bottoms as it spins, learning to turn without creating a spin mark takes some time.

Paid 12k for mine new in 2012, looking back would not do it different. i did not look for used but not a bad idea. I wanted new as mowers can be ridden hard especially if bought used from a landscaper, time is money to them.

If you have a friend that has a ZT maybe you could borrow it to cut one time and see how you like it but it will take some time to learn how to drive it efficiently.

Good luck!

Jay

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
To give you some perspective: I mow about 3 acres (+/-). I started out with a 33" deck that took me 6 hours to mow... not fun. I found a 48" deck that I modified to fit my garden tractor and that reduced my time to 3 hours. Then I bought an Ingersol 4020 (20 HP) with a 60" deck and I went down to about 2 hours of mowing. I used that for about 25 years and then bought a Kubota (B2320HSD) with power steering and that took about 1/2 hour off (maybe a little less), but more comfortable which is important when you start getting old. Finally this year I got an Ex-Mark Radius X series 60", and that thing flies. The deck really lifts the grass and does a much better job of cutting than the Kubota tractor did. The tractor would leave uncut weeds, but that Ex-Mark will move twice as fast and still cut better (nothing sticking up). It is capable of 10 MPH, and I have cut with it going that fast, and it still cut better that the tractors. That is a little fast, but the point still is: you can cut at about twice the cut speed of a tractor, and the turn arounds are so quick it is well worth it. I wish I had done this years ago.

I went with the Radius X-Series because the adjustable seat was so much better than the lower end models, plus the tires were bigger. I tested them all out and ended up deciding to spend a little to save my back, and this was the lowest level that had a really good adjustable suspension seat. A good seat or suspension is important especially if going from a large tire tractor to a smaller diameter tire (smaller tire drops further into the holes/divets where as the large tire ride over them). This is right in your price range.

I am not pushing Ex-Mark, it is just what is most used by the Pro's around this area. However, preferences seems to be very regional. Whatever the most used mower in your region is, that is likely to have better dealer support... just make sure you do not skimp on the seat, tire size, and/or suspension.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Another vote for Ferris. I had a Dixon before that and it would rattle the fillings in my teeth. I used to mow our property with a 48in lawn tractor in 5 hours or so. The Dixon was a 52in deck and I could get it done in 3 hours. I bought a new Ferris with a 60in deck and boy that thing was fast. I got the time down to 2.5 hours but the 60in deck was really a little to wide. some places it would scalp where the 52in hardly ever scalped. I also vote for the Kawasaki engine. I went through 3 Kohlers on my Dixon they were junk, had a B&S on the Ferris and it was OK but the Kawasaki is a better engine. The only thing I'd caution you on is mowing on hills is tricky but not impossible. They do not recommend a zero turn for hilly property but if you look at the commercial lawn companies that is all they use so just a note of caution.

Last edited:

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
Kawasaki engine for sure. I hear gravely makes a nice mower w/ the kawasaki engine. Friend of mine just bought one in that price range and loves it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Zero turn mower manufacturers tend to be a lot like welders or cutting torches as far as who likes what. It's often a regional thing. Like the example of welders and cutting torches, whatever the local RR uses becomes the favorite in that area because of knowledge, availability and support.

Once you determine your budget, spend it all because whatever you buy will only do, or last, as long as the quality you paid for.

You mention "some trees". Not sure what that means but if those trees need to be mowed around and under, often times a front mount mower is very handy. It reaches out under them similar to using a push mower.

Find an operator's seat that supports your weight. You don't want to be bouncing as you mow, and as you get proficient you tend to mow faster then you imagined because of the mowing ability.

Also, with a front mount mower you have the ability to service the deck and blades MUCH easier.

This is what we use because they are popular and have excellent support here. http://www.grasshoppermower.com/

Oh, they are Kubota engines, gas or diesel.

Attachments

Grouse09

Equipment
B2650 Cab, snowblower, FEL, brush hog
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
Agree with D2Cat. I have 400 hours on my 2010 Front mount Grasshopper with the Kohler Command Pro 23 HP motor. Not a bit of trouble, runs great, and cleans up great.

Get the front deck for trees. Get the power lift for cleaning and changing blades.

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
Very grateful for all the feedback thus far. I didn't really think that much about suspension and seat options and that is now clear after so many have weighed in. I am just over 30 with a pretty good back still, but do feel it slightly after a day of mowing. I do feel I have a lot of small low spots in the yard I already feel under the large B7100 turf tires. Some are from old trees, but the neighbor tells me there are a lot of springs that will spit the dirt back out if I fill them in after a good rain. I have started to try and fill them in and flag them, but there is a lot of work to be done before it is perfect. The trees are mostly oaks, hickory and sweet gums. So most branches aren't too low hanging.

I have seen plenty of these names on landscape trailers and craigslist as well, so now I think I just need to sit and sample a few of them. I am glad to hear there is a professional grade in my price range for something new. I say 5-6k only because that seems reasonable to me for what it is, a mower for home use. I may go outside of that, but hopefully not too much. I will definitely try and find a dealer for the Ex-Mark Radius X-Series in my area and see how that fits me. Thanks all and looking forward to anyone else's experiences.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
I tend to buy used also but for a zero turn I bought new. They can be so badly abused and the transmissions are more fragile than what is used on a tractor I was afraid of buying used. I did look at used zero turns online and discovered regardless of brand they seem to hold a resale value pretty good so what little savings isn't worth the risk. If you buy new you can also be sure it will have proper maintenance.

dsi182

Jun 28, 2017
New York
At the end of the day all zt manufacturers use Kohler, Kawasaki, or b & s motors and most use hydragear wheel pumps. I believe the 2800 series hydragear can't be rebuilt but the 3100 & 3400 series can be, but it may have changed. Also make sure the hydro filter is easily accessible for changing, mine isn't and it's a messy job.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
When I first moved in here, approximately 15 acres to mow, I had a zero turn 60", (no seat suspension), and an Exmark 60" with a seat over the third wheel, (no seat suspension). Ten hours each, my wife on one and me on the other. And the gas we used, WOW! If you do get one get a diesel. Fortunately we moved in on August 1st. I couldn't wait to get off of those things. Our property is fairly flat. You WILL find every bump, divot, crack, pebble.....get my point. AND the faster you go the more pronounced the feeling. The older you get the more, ahem, "fun" it will be. So if you plan on twenty years find a good chiropractor. Unless you go slow. But then what's the point you'll just have another machine to service.
I suppose a suspension seat will be better but by how much.
I picked up a 84" finish mower turned on the radio, turned up the air conditioning and smile. That got the time down considerably. Ten hours just me and cut the fuel bill WAY down.
I then picked up a 15' mower. Hallelujah! 5 hours and even less fuel.
And one machine to service.

I saw someone here asked about a DR Trimmer.
Now we're looking at one of those DR 3pt hitch trimmer mowers for all of the fence trimming. I can spend 8 hours on my feet trimming fences and ditches.

Not trying to talk you out of a zero turn.
Just my experiences here.
Good luck! :)

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
My pop has a ferris with a kawi 27hp motor. He has had that mower for about 7yrs now. Great machine. He can mow his bumpy 4-1/2 acres in about 80minutes.

I recently been doing some research as well on a zero turn and have came to conclusion ill be purchasing a scag turf tiger2.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I've got the Scag turf tiger 52". Kawsaki engine, 350 hours, bought in 2012. Ran close to 8K.

The only issue I had was having part of the engine rebuilt because I was getting "bad gas" and it got junked up and although the parts were still under warranty, (just over 2 years it stalled out and wouldnt start) the labor ran me $500. It was also down for 2.5 weeks so that killed me.

Since then I only use ethanol free gas I can find at a local station here. I also add marine grade stabil. No issues. I've changed the belts once, and the blades twice. I also opted to get tubes in the front tires, they weren't holding air too well.

I can mow close to 10 acres averaging 4 hours. My best time was just over 3 hours with perfect conditions. Regularly cut grass, dry conditions, and no hangover. :D

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I've got the Scag turf tiger 52". Kawsaki engine, 350 hours, bought in 2012. Ran close to 8K.

The only issue I had was having part of the engine rebuilt because I was getting "bad gas" and it got junked up and although the parts were still under warranty, (just over 2 years it stalled out and wouldnt start) the labor ran me $500. It was also down for 2.5 weeks so that killed me.

Since then I only use ethanol free gas I can find at a local station here. I also add marine grade stabil. No issues. I've changed the belts once, and the blades twice. I also opted to get tubes in the front tires, they weren't holding air too well.

I can mow close to 10 acres averaging 4 hours. My best time was just over 3 hours with perfect conditions. Regularly cut grass, dry conditions, and no hangover. :D
I have a Kubota X331 which is diesel. Having the 72" deck with the 31hp diesel on a zero turn allowed me to cut the 8-hour mowing job to a 4. Sadly, since I live in lower Alabama, I go through a couple sets of blades each summer.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
said this in several zero turn threads on here....

if you have a relatively FLAT area to mow? the big Kubota diesel zero is a great machine! so is a Scaggs Turf Tiger!

if you are pushing the limit of slopes & angles? but dont need a Steiner? then nothing touches a HUSTLER.

although do gotta admit... even as in love with my Hustlers as ive been ..... THIS new mower has gotten my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CTHoxmOeL4

its slower than a Hustler.. but it is neat.