Rusting due to dew/humidity?

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
Hi, I have 1986. Kubota B1402. I bought it 3 years ago and it had original paint and zero rust. In only 3 years I keep noticing more and more rust showing up. I keep it in a wooden shed I built for it. I have a tin 100% waterproof tin roof which has layer of felt underneath to reduce the condensation. However I do notice droplets of condensate on the roof underneath and something like dewdrops on the tractor too. Its very high humidity area with trees all around and morning dew doesn`t help either. I attached some photos of wheels and front cover where you can see the rust starting. And some images of the shed too. As you can see, it has wide spaces between the boards. On one hand it helps to keep it ventilated, and on the other hand it lets the dew in. I am in the process of buying a (almost) new tractor and would hate this rust problem to happen with it too. What do you think would help the best?:
1. putting Styrofoam insulation on the sides and roof of the shed?
OR
2. putting this kind of cover over the tractor ?
https://www.capa-shop.de/capa-protective-cover-for-tractors/?lang=en
OR
3. buying storage container and putting the tractor inside of it

With the 3rd option I am afraid of lack of ventilation and heat inside during the summer.
What is your opinion please, how to prevent this kind of rust?

Attachments

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
In my experience with high humidity environments covers and sheds do not provide perfect protection.

I would recommend something like WD-40 Corrosion Protection Inhibitor. The best working vapor barrier will be in contact with the metal parts. Spraying or brushing with a corrosion inhibitor is an easy way to do the job.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
You can remove the light rust and prevent future rust with The Must For Rust. It is a mild acid product that leaves a protective film. Spray it and leave it - might require more than one application. It is cheap and sold many places.

A painted surface will not rust (presuming proper prep and painting), unless the paint is compromised. You can use a rust inhibitor on a compromised surface to prevent/delay rust, but it will require periodic reapplication. I have always been a fan of Corrosion-X for preventing rust on things that are used in salt water. There are some more effective products, but their coating is a pain to deal with (the item is coated with a waxy goo).