Runs With Scissor's Latest Lathe Projects

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thats pretty cool for sure.

Working with those "big machines" has always intrigued me.

Oh well, back to my little 10" er. hahahahha

I was just cruising on Flea Bay just looking at used lathes. There seem to be a few in my local area that go for affordable money (4 K'ish).

My biggest problem is trying to find something that I can disassemble, so I can rebuild it in the basement.

Oh well, just dreaming/scheming for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thats pretty cool for sure.

Working with those "big machines" has always intrigued me.

Oh well, back to my little 10' er. hahahahha

I was just cruising on Flea Bay just looking at used lathes. There seem to be a few in my local area that go for affordable money (4 K'ish).

My biggest problem is trying to find something that I can disassemble, so I can rebuild it in the basement.

Oh well, just dreaming/scheming for now.
Wow, you already have a ten footer lathe and still want more!

Why am I not surprised??? 😂🤣😂

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wow, you already have a ten footer lathe and still want more!

Why am I not surprised??? 😂🤣😂
I would say that in many situations, the swing diameter is far more important than the bed length.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
wow, lotta cool stuff in there. Had never heard of air-arc gouging before.

I wonder how much lathe hp is required turn against that 3.5" diameter bore!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I wonder how much lathe hp is required turn against that 3.5" diameter bore!
Depends on how big a "bite" you take. In 1018 steel my old 3HP 14" swing lathe maxes out around .250 DOC with a pretty slow feed rate but it will still make chips and lots of steam. Its just slow going hogging a hole that size.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Easy to do on dry land, but try doing it underwater when you can't see much of anything. Lots of fun I can assure you.

I've been watching CEE for a while now and have posted links to his channel on this site.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
few years back I found a guy out east of town that had a used lathe. Craftsman. Priced "right", and I just happened to need one (and for once, had the money). I bought it. 12x36, identical to Atlas 3996 I believe.

Thus far I have not had any project that it's been "too small" for. I do some automatic transmission build and modifications for the drag racers, works excellent.

Recently I made a cam bearing installer tool, to replace my old Snap-on set. This one is kind of patterned after the BHJ cam bearing tool which I had at one time but ended up selling to pay bills. Works SLICK. The Snap-on one was the type you just beat the bearings into the block with,-which often "dings" the bearings so you have to hone them. this type you draw them in with a fine thread screw, so it doesn't damage the bearings. It is a requirement when you're installing roller cam bearings as you can't just beat them in.

Have made tons of bushings and such for lawn mowers. Even on my personal ZG127S I had to cut the spindle bearing spacers down just a shade (about .003") to take out some of the slack.

just all kinds of stuff you can do with a lathe. Real versatile tool, but also a real dangerous tool.

Oddly I went to school to learn the trade (machine shop), then got offered a job working on, tractors.