RTVX1120 flipped over

LenPA

Equipment
l3901
Jan 2, 2022
Sayre,Pennsylvania,USA
My wife flipped our RTVX1120 into a ditch on its side. Fortunately, she was not hurt. ROPS saved her. We got it upright and back on the dirt road, towed it 1/4 mile back home and let it sit. I checked all the fluids and the engine oil was the only one lacking (still well within the marks on the dip stick} some of it came out the breather. I started it up and lots of smoke and oil came out the muffler. When I turned the key off it continued to run and pour smoke out the muffler. I am guessing
it was running on the oil in the cylinder. It finally stopped running after about 30 seconds after I turned the key off. Dealer suggest I change engine oil and filter. I would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There was a thread a few weeks ago about how to start a diesel engine after a roll over. It's important to open the cylinder head ( easily the glow plugs) and turn the engine over by wrench. This eliminates the possibility of a bent rod from compressed liquid.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hopefully you got lucky. I did once when I tipped my B2910 on its side about 12 years ago. This was before I understood what you really need to do if you tip your diesel on its side.

In my case, it started up fine and ran fine and has been running fine for the last 12 years. In your case, I would be concerned. You will know more as time goes on from this point forward.

As D2Cat said, there is a chance you might have bent a connecting rod. Hopefully not. But if the engine continues to run poorly after you do whatever you decide to do at this point, a compression test will probably lead you to a conclusion.

My understanding is, if you tip your tractor, or whatever diesel engine vehicle you happen to have, on its side, and then right it, and then start it without doing anything else, there’s a high probability that you may damage the engine due to oil getting into the cylinders and that oil being incompressible.

This oil doesn’t get into the cylinders due to leakage past the rings. It gets into the cylinder(s) via the positive crank case ventilation tubing. It gets into the intake side of the engine and then finds its way into a cylinder through whatever intake valve happens to be open.