rotary cutter question, please

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
I have a new Land Pride RCR1248 rotary cutter that I have just used for the third time. It sits outside uncovered.

When disconnecting and putting it away, I noticed that the top of the gear box was covered in a whitish , milky looking liquid. Every time I have seen that in the past, it has been oil with water in it.

I checked the owner's manual and it says to check the oil level using the rear oil plug. the gearbox has a vented plug on top to add oil(80-90w EP gear lube). It also says to use a suction or siphon pump to drain the oil.

Several questions-
1-Is this water and how does water (if indeed that is the problem) get into a sealed gearbox ?
2- what can be done to stop the penetration
3-should I drain the gearbox and replace the oil?
4-any suggestions about a suction or siphon pump?

In the future, I will cover the gearbox with a bucket or pan to hopefully stop this issue.

Any help/advice is appreciated
thanks
Vann

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a new Land Pride RCR1248 rotary cutter that I have just used for the third time. It sits outside uncovered.

When disconnecting and putting it away, I noticed that the top of the gear box was covered in a whitish , milky looking liquid. Every time I have seen that in the past, it has been oil with water in it.

I checked the owner's manual and it says to check the oil level using the rear oil plug. the gearbox has a vented plug on top to add oil(80-90w EP gear lube). It also says to use a suction or siphon pump to drain the oil.

Several questions-
1-Is this water and how does water (if indeed that is the problem) get into a sealed gearbox ?
2- what can be done to stop the penetration
3-should I drain the gearbox and replace the oil?
4-any suggestions about a suction or siphon pump?

In the future, I will cover the gearbox with a bucket or pan to hopefully stop this issue.

Any help/advice is appreciated
thanks
Vann
I have an RCR1884 and it lives outside without issue.

You state that the top of the gear box is covered in a "whitish, milky looking liquid" but you haven't checked the state of the oil in the gear box. Is that correct? It's possible/likely that oil from the gearbox is escaping/misting through the vent and then mixing with water. Perhaps the gearbox was overfilled at the dealer and pressure inside the gear box is sufficient to cause some amount to escape.

At the very least you should remove the oil plug and see if the oil inside the gear box looks good, assuming you haven't already done so.

As for suction pumps, there are numerous choices from very cheap to very expensive and everything in between. I have a really nice one from EWK ....

... but you can find cheap gear lube type pumps designed to fit a 1 quart container that can be used in "reverse". Most automotive shops will have something suitable.

Shotgun Merwin

Jul 9, 2024
Hognut
If it's newer, it could still have a coating of oil on top of it from the factory maybe, or they just spilled oil on it when filling it up at the dealer, and all you're seeing is just rainwater and that mixing with that residual oil. Or it could be that the vent was venting oil out, maybe because the oil is overfilled. Of course, one of the main reason why things get overfilled, especially with equipment that sits outside, is because water is getting inside the gearbox and raising the oil level. So you'll definitely want to check the state of the oil to see, just checking the fill plug will tell you if it's overfull. Most all of them will get some leakage out of the check plug, but if you get a whole stream of oil that comes out for several seconds, you know it's over filled.

itsaz

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, Box Blade, Wood Chipper, Rotary Cutter, Disc Harrow
Oct 14, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
I have that extact same cutter and it was way overfilled when I got it. Don't know if the dealer did it or it came from the factory that way but it made a hell of a mess when I pulled the side plug to check.

Either way, it sounds like yours is overfilled and may have water in it. It's possible yours may have been underwater before you bought it. I'd drain the gearbox and refill to the proper level.

Reactions: 1 user