Road Safe Dump Trailer that a B series can also pull

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had to sign up just to answer your question. I just bought a trailer about 3 months ago to do the same thing you requested. It has been working great.
I chose to go with a single axle trailer so it wouldn't tear up the grass as much in the yard. If I wasn't worried about the yard, I would have gotten a 2 axle trailer to distribute the load.
What I found was this Delco 5X8 7K dump trailer that is really heavy built. I pulled it all around my yard to pick up limbs after a recent ice storm and it worked great. Also used it to get sand and haul fire wood, my tacoma pulls it great. I haven't tried to load my tractor in it, if it fit it would be tight and the loader would be hanging over. A 5x10 I think would be the sweet spot.
Wow! That looks a lot like my dump trailer that is titled for 3500 pounds.

I need to post a picture for comparison. Mine has an aluminum dump bed and electric brakes on the axle. I should see what the axle is rated for...but think that is the limiting factor as for weight rating. My frame is box tubing rather than channel, same as yours seems to be.

Also pulled behind a BX a lot. With hills I think 5x8 is the limit for me behind the BX.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Wow! That looks a lot like my dump trailer that is titled for 3500 pounds.

I need to post a picture for comparison. Mine has an aluminum dump bed and electric brakes on the axle. I should see what the axle is rated for...but think that is the limiting factor as for weight rating. My frame is box tubing rather than channel, same as yours seems to be.

Also pulled behind a BX a lot. With hills I think 5x8 is the limit for me behind the BX.
Here are a couple pictures of my road licensed 5x8 behind the BX:

2284FD2E-C09B-4D2E-942E-91EAEC537B6B.jpeg
6A85EF8A-5F32-447D-8EBB-25882A876034.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

lostboy

Equipment
lx2610
Jan 1, 2021
OK
lostboy, thanks for joining! It looks like your trailer weighs about 1825lb empty. How much weight have you hauled with your B2320? Have you tried going up/down slopes? Do you engage the trailer brakes somehow while using your tractor to pull it?
My wife loaded and stacked it level with oak firewood which was pretty heavy, maybe 3000lbs. The tractor pulled it ok in first gear a couple of hundred feet. Like others said, I probably exceeded manufacturer’s limits. I go slow rev the rpms. I would want to go down a steep grade with a full trailer behind me. I don’t hookup the brakes or lights to the tractor. Most of the time have been loading the trailer with limbs and Logs that only weigh a 1000lbs or so.
For me the trailer doubles as a pickup bed that I can pull on the road or use behind the tractor.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think the Kubota max drawbar numbers are a bit theoretical. As you say, they exclude the trailer weight, which makes no sense at all. I think it's mostly written for legal liability limits, presumably the Kubota will pull anything it can move and that it can stop. And what it can move and stop varies a lot depending on how fast, how steep, how much traction. A B will pull an enormous amount in low range. Not very fast, but it'll move it. If you want to do that on a hill you need to think about stopping. If you want to do that faster you need to think about stopping. But just moving something around the flat it's not a big deal, when you stop pulling the trailer will stop rolling.

Reactions: 1 user

RJ B2650

Equipment
B2650
Apr 8, 2020
Stacy, MN
I'm wondering if there are dump trailers out there which might be small enough for a compact tractor to pull around, but still ok to haul on the road with a normal vehicle. The King Kutter style 1.5 ton dump trailer is almost perfect, but a bit small and not rated for road use.

I don't need to go highway speeds and I think the hand-pump dump feature is just fine to avoid having a battery/pump (and the option to use a rear remote to dump is awesome). It would need proper lights and all that to go on the road.

Edit for clarification:
I'd be pulling with a B2601 with loaded rear tires. I'd use it somewhat regularly to haul in maybe a half mile area where I don't need it to be road-rated. Much more rarely, I'd hope to use it to fetch materials (most likely gravel, sand, road-pack, and compost) from a couple miles away. I can avoid highways if needed.
Bonus points if the dump trailer could also haul a K008 mini excavator. Double bonus points if the B2601 could squeeze onto the trailer in a pinch (but let's not get too caught up on fitting the tractor onto the trailer).
I have a B2650 and just made my purchase of the King Kutter 1.5 ton (off road) dump trailer, https://www.amazon.com/King-Kutter-Dump-Trailer-1-5T-DT-XB/dp/B000N4V09S. So far it is amazing as using it on the road is a minimal need for me. My only concern/question is it features a single action cylinder (lift only) and a hand pump. It does however, offer a single hydraulic line to connect to the tractor. If I run a single long line from the 3rd function how will I control the dump? Also, can i convert the trailer cylinder to "dual action" and run (2) lines?

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have a B2650 and just made my purchase of the King Kutter 1.5 ton (off road) dump trailer, https://www.amazon.com/King-Kutter-Dump-Trailer-1-5T-DT-XB/dp/B000N4V09S. So far it is amazing as using it on the road is a minimal need for me. My only concern/question is it features a single action cylinder (lift only) and a hand pump. It does however, offer a single hydraulic line to connect to the tractor. If I run a single long line from the 3rd function how will I control the dump? Also, can i convert the trailer cylinder to "dual action" and run (2) lines?
I think it is rare to need a dual action cylinder on a dump trailer.

I will I’ll admit that ONE time I got mine in a position where the load did not dump, and the bed would not lower. That was when moving hundreds of loads of dirt. At least 300 loads over the summer. Wasn’t hard to manually encourage the load to fall out. Don’t remember exactly why it happened.

I believe my dump cylinder only has one line connection. i would need to buy a new cylinder if I wanted dual action. Don’t think it is needed in most cases.