Residence HVAC guys. Need help.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Another question for HVAC guys please and thanks. A/C compressor condenser unit, lines and evaporator were replaced about two years ago. 3 months or so after installation noticed an intermittent issue. Notified installer but he never showed up. Last year again notified him and he never showed up. Being an intermittent issue I also forgot about it. This summer season, noticed the same issue. On start up, the outside compressor unit will buzz, but not start. It will do this about 5 times, then time out. Sometimes will start normally after this issue. It starts normally on a frequent basis, intermittently it will do this fail to start.
Installer has shown up twice this year attempting to fix issue, after I sent him a video. 1st visit capacitor was changed. 2nd visit relay contacts were changed. No oil leaks were found in compressor area and system pressures were fine….so I was told. I tested double pole circuit breaker with an ohm meter and it tested fine. I cleaned the quick disconnect outside, wasn’t very dirty, and tightened all connections. I get the impression from the buzzing noise that it may be trying to start on 110v instead of 220v.?? Or the compressor motor has a dead spot, or the compressor is somehow staying in high pressure causing an overload on start? Any ideas? I was thinking I might replace circuit breaker…but hate to just throw parts at it

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I would suspect the contactor or the capacitor. I have seen capacitors installed improperly in the past. Find out what capacitor is required ie. 5uf for fan and 40uf for the compressor. Been an almost new system it could also be a loose connection in the compressor wiring. Unusual that a new system would have a bad relay (contactor) or capacitor.

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
I've had a replacement capacitor that was defective. The replacement's replacement fixed things back up with no issues in the years since. Either way, after only two years, aren't you still under warranty?

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys for both your responses. I’m struggling with the fact that one capacitor was already replaced about 2 months ago, and the contactor was also replaced about a month ago. ….neither of which solved the problem.
As far as I’m concerned I’m under warranty because I notified him a few months after the install. I will have to read up again. I do remember I had 10 yrs on the evaporator.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks guys for both your responses. I’m struggling with the fact that one capacitor was already replaced about 2 months ago, and the contactor was also replaced about a month ago. ….neither of which solved the problem.
As far as I’m concerned I’m under warranty because I notified him a few months after the install. I will have to read up again. I do remember I had 10 yrs on the evaporator.
You may get some information from this link that will give you ideas on why it is not starting reliably.

I would NOT install the kit being described on a two year old unit but rather eliminate the source of the problem. You may want to get the voltage drop checked at the compressor to see how that is holding up. That would be the most likely reason to me.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Also, check your homes electrical connections. I had a neighbor that was having problems with his air conditioning unit, and after much checking by the technician he found that there was a problem with one line coming into the home from the pole. I don't know if it was a bad connection or a bad transformer on the pole, but the utility fixed it and all his problems went away.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Russ for the link. I read it and the symptoms pretty much describe what my unit is doing.
And, Dusty I was thinking electrical as you which made me ponder the circuit breaker…which will have two sets of contacts…with one set maybe causing a bad intermittent connection?? I have other 220v stuff that works fine, so I’m kinda discounting the feed from the pole to my service panel. But hey, who am I…lol
Gonna call the last service man I had on Monday….but I think he’s at a loss as well.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Another question for HVAC guys please and thanks. A/C compressor condenser unit, lines and evaporator were replaced about two years ago. 3 months or so after installation noticed an intermittent issue. Notified installer but he never showed up. Last year again notified him and he never showed up. Being an intermittent issue I also forgot about it. This summer season, noticed the same issue. On start up, the outside compressor unit will buzz, but not start. It will do this about 5 times, then time out. Sometimes will start normally after this issue. It starts normally on a frequent basis, intermittently it will do this fail to start.
Installer has shown up twice this year attempting to fix issue, after I sent him a video. 1st visit capacitor was changed. 2nd visit relay contacts were changed. No oil leaks were found in compressor area and system pressures were fine….so I was told. I tested double pole circuit breaker with an ohm meter and it tested fine. I cleaned the quick disconnect outside, wasn’t very dirty, and tightened all connections. I get the impression from the buzzing noise that it may be trying to start on 110v instead of 220v.?? Or the compressor motor has a dead spot, or the compressor is somehow staying in high pressure causing an overload on start? Any ideas? I was thinking I might replace circuit breaker…but hate to just throw parts at it
Replace the capacitor. I had a similar issue with mine.

Came out.and all I was getting was a buzzing noise. AC guy came out, replaced the capacitor.

After seeing how easy it was to replace, I'll do it myself the next time.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Possibly high resistance in one of the cables supplying the unit. I don't know if you have any aluminum wiring in the system, but I do know that sometimes the connections with aluminum wire can become problematic. My a/c units are 12 gauge romex from the breaker box to the outside service box. From there to the condensers is nonmetallic conduit with individual wires. To be honest, I don't know if the installer used copper or aluminum in my installation, but that is something that you can have checked. My intuition is that it is stranded copper wire because there would be no reason to use a heavier wire than the wire coming from the electrical panel.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Pretty sure mine is 14/2. Romex (X2). Copper.

I do have 2 capable portable generators……only problem is the issue is so intermittent. Might go a week without hearing the problem…..then will hear it act up two or three times in one day!

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Check your connections at both ends of the supply and the condenser. Preferably with a digital meter that will hold the readings until you release them. 14/2 is kind of light for an a/c unit. I used 12/3 so I have 2 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. Each unit has its own disconnect and one unit has to have a 110 GFI service outlet. This was code 7 years ago when I installed it.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
what size is the unit ? If its 2 tons are greater that 14/2 may be part of your problem . Also if you decide to get a new run capacitor use a cap rated at 440 volts instead of the factory 370 volt.

Does the thermostat or condenser have a 5 minute delay before it can restart ? could be trying to start before the pressures equalize causing compressor overload to open.
For expenses I could come take a look :)

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
what size is the unit ? If its 2 tons are greater that 14/2 may be part of your problem . Also if you decide to get a new run capacitor use a cap rated at 440 volts instead of the factory 370 volt.

Does the thermostat or condenser have a 5 minute delay before it can restart ? could be trying to start before the pressures equalize causing compressor overload to open.
For expenses I could come take a look :)
It is a very long distance from Texas to Ontario, Canada......
Poohbear
Active member · From Gilmer,Tx,United States

GSD-Keegan
Well-known member · From Ontario, Canada

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone for your help. I will try to determine the size of the unit today and post back. 20 yr old unit ran fine on the wiring. It developed a leak as par for the course. I’m wondering now if a larger unit was installed and the wiring is insufficient as Pooh has informed me.