Repairing ruts in clay mud?

fc1

Equipment
L3940
Apr 17, 2024
Michigan
So, I'm new at this, and learning, and I've made a mess of my side yard running my tractor in the rain. Deep clay, turns to mud, run the tractor, make some ruts. I've had some luck backdragging with the bucket to smooth my mess, but I wonder if there are better ways?

Obviously, avoiding the issue to start is a superior option but I'm not certain it will always be available, so I could use some pointers in how to smooth out my rutted mess.

Thanks in advance!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you drive the tractor in the rutted area and make any depth of rut you just have to wait until it dries up some. No options. Weight in mud creates ruts. You need no rain and a strong wind!!

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure,. stay to he** off the yard with your tractor when it's wet. After things dry out import friable soil and use a box blade to smooth everything out. BACK DRAG! What makes you think you can do what you see operators with years of experience doing? Box blades are the best tool for greenhorns to level dirt.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
In the 'long term'.
... turn the clay into 'earth' and then a lawn. Yes, this will take time but you'll end up with a lawn that' you can drive on.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I’ve rutted the snot out of areas needing to get through when conditions aren’t favorable. Our soil is 99% clay and 1% rocks. Other than having a pile of dirt for filling ruts, I tend to widen my travel so I’m pushing the squished out soil back in. Some may say I’m just making a bigger mess which is true. If you have a box blade that works great to pull that dirt back in when it dries out. I’ve also had luck with adding in scoops of wood chips and then driving over them. You still sink but not as bad and they firm the area up somewhat. Bonus is they break down over time unlike rocks. Back dragging IMHO doesn’t do anything with wet clay ruts. The bucket is too light and if you get any sort of down force on it, up comes the front wheels. If you can get perpendicular to the ruts with the FEL, you could possibly scoop up what you pushed out and deposit it back in the rut.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
It becomes increasingly difficult with each passing day to find simple solutions to problems. As long as dirt and water has been making mud you would think someone out there in cyberspace would have a simple answer.

• Dislike

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
How you fix it depends on whether you expect to use it in the future and, if so, whether it needs to be available in bad wheather.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Prevention is key, but once you have the problem, I think you should give a good look at the Ratchet Rake.

I love mine! It's great for fixing ruts and for maintaining my gravel driveway and road. Does a great job on potholes.

fc1

Equipment
L3940
Apr 17, 2024
Michigan
Thanks to all who responded- having mixed success with repeated backblading but the real key is probably just letting it dry out some. We'll get 5 or 6 days with no rain and then one or two with .25-1"; not gonna dry real thorough under those conditions!

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Thanks to all who responded- having mixed success with repeated backblading but the real key is probably just letting it dry out some. We'll get 5 or 6 days with no rain and then one or two with .25-1"; not gonna dry real thorough under those conditions!
THAT sounds like a plan, mud is difficult to do anything with. 👨‍🎓