Rental BX23S wants to stall intermittently while attempting to move forward/backward

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
Long title but its to the point.

In my quest to get a BX23S for myself, but yet under the gun for a project, I rented a BX23S ($219/day, rent 3 days, get it for 7 days, $150 for delivery, plus taxes. Extra charges if used more than 40 hrs on machine for a weekly rental, and if not returned with fuel... in case anyone was curious).

Its a great little machine. Fits my small half acre property perfectly. Was able to move several tons of earth and stone, dig two trenches and grade. I put on 30 hours over 5 days. I have one or so day left before needing to clean up and refuel for rental return.

Starting is not an issue, she fires up fine. Backhoe and loader use, no issue.

Here's the issue: When using the hydrostatic drive to move forward and backward, intermittently, the RPMs drop dramatically and go to stall, unless I release the forward/reverse pedal. Was on a hill initially, happened once on day 2 while reversing up a steep hill, but yesterday (day 5, happened several times, regardless of hill or no hill). When this issue pops up, I can still move forward, with a very very light feather touch of the forward pedal, near idle speed. Any additional forward press on the pedal would dip the RPMs, which I would just release the pedal and she'd idle happily. With reverse, same deal, subtle press and she'll move backwards, but press a hair more, RPMs dip to stall. Let go and idles fine.

I thought perhaps there was a fuel issue. Maybe being on a hill with low fuel would starve the engine under load? Gave it a full tank and it seemed to work fine, but then it happened again.

Sometimes letting it sit would 'solve' the issue, and it would travel as normal. Then maybe an hour later, symptom returns, PITA for maybe 15 minutes, then back to normal like nothing is wrong.

Searching this forum, it seems to be a fuel delivery issue. Blocked line maybe? Perhaps a bad fuel pump? Not sure. I cannot do much as its a rental, but still something that I am curious about. If its a fuel delivery problem, how can it idle fine but just the mere forward/reverse movement and it wants to stall? Is there a hydrostatic issue here?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
It's your butt. You're on a hill and your butt isn't depressing the operator presence switch.

Reposition your posterior for good time, happy, superior results.

(y)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sounds like an issue with the operator presence safety (the seat switch).

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Yup mine did the same thing, it took me awhile to figure out I was sliding forward in the seat just a little bit. I first thought it was low on fuel, so I filled it. When it kept happing I noticed my slide.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Articles like this one make me really glad that I bought my B7500 when I did. It doesn't have all of the "safety sensors" irritations that the new models have.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
Make sure you are in Low gear .Sometimes I forget that I am in high and go to fill the bucket and that happens. Also could be seat safety switch. Happened to me also lol

Cheers
Jim

Reactions: 1 users

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
Thanks all, silly issue for sure. I'll have to keep my butt in the back of the seat. Seams like a odd safety feature, to stall the engine when I'm not seated all the way back. Either way, if I ever get one, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Seat was a bit beaten up, it didn't want to latch down while in the backhoe position, only in the drive position. Maybe that also had something to do with it, meaning if not latched correctly and such...

GibbyESS9 said:
Make sure you are in Low gear
Yep, I used low gear the entire time.

mendonsy said:
Articles like this one make me really glad that I bought my B7500 when I did. It doesn't have all of the "safety sensors" irritations that the new models have.
I would love a B7500 with a backhoe, but, its just a bit to large for my property to maneuver within. The BX23S was the perfect size for where I was working.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Since it is a rental, inform them of the seat switch problem that you lost several HOURS over, you should get a credit.....

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You might be able to add downward force on the seat to see the switch activate. That would give you an idea of how the switch is supposed to operate. Add a spacer to seat bottom if needed.

I am not sure where the switch is and know that some switches are inside the seat cover .

Good luck