Reluctant Hydraulic cylinder gland nut removal.

joea

Equipment
B21 TLB
Aug 2, 2020
Marbletown NY
Need to find a good relatively cheap tool to help remove a cylinder end cap, with "radial" holes, picture attached. I have tools to remove the ones with holes "on top". Seems like Kubota chose hole sizes a bit small for most tools for that cylinder diameter.

Bought a "gear wrench" set on Amazon, which had a video of a guy wailing away on it. Me? broke the pin off first try. And I am no King Kong. Eh, they do provide 4 or 5 sizes in the set and I needed to use the smallest on. So, guess there is that.

Regardless, I need to reseal these cylinders on a Kubota B21 bucket (TL421). The holes are 5mm max, OD is about 2 to 2.5 inches.

Don't want to take these to a shop, have seals and tools, and have done all the others myself.

I guess I could make up something, if I can find hardened steel rod for the pins, but, last resort. Things like pipe wrench and heat are further away than that.

Attachments

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Stop using that method and get a pipe wrench. You can put the cylinder in a vice (if careful not to tighten too much) but easier to just leave it on the front loader until you've broken the nut loose.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You might get it started with a punch, striking it to go in a counterclockwise direction. 5mm isn't much of an opening to get anything into!

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
Stop using that method and get a pipe wrench. You can put the cylinder in a vice (if careful not to tighten too much) but easier to just leave it on the front loader until you've broken the nut loose.
There's the right answer. I break the head loose while the cylinder is still on the machine. I never use the "special tools" that fit in the holes. A pipe wrench and if needed, a cheater pipe on that. If you're too picky to put up with a few scratches when you're done, then buy new cylinders and keep it all "shiny".

Reactions: 1 user