rebuilt engine blowing white smoke from breather tube

akbear

Equipment
B4200
Mar 1, 2024
Idaho
I just fired up a rebuilt Z600 and I have white smoke coming out of the valve cover breather tube. Is this normal during an initial start and perhaps will correct itself once the rings are seated? It's running well and exhaust is fine. Once it was up to operating temperature, I had it running under load for about half an hour at half-throttle. I held a paper towel over the breather hole and there wasn't any pressure, just a thin film of oil. I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I just fired up a rebuilt Z600 and I have white smoke coming out of the valve cover breather tube. Is this normal during an initial start and perhaps will correct itself once the rings are seated? It's running well and exhaust is fine. Once it was up to operating temperature, I had it running under load for about half an hour at half-throttle. I held a paper towel over the breather hole and there wasn't any pressure, just a thin film of oil. I appreciate any insight. Thanks!
In your world explain what rebuilt means.................
Dave

Reactions: 1 user

akbear

Equipment
B4200
Mar 1, 2024
Idaho
In your world explain what rebuilt means.................
Dave
Machine shop rebuilt the head with new valves/ guides, checked the block, polished and installed the crank, pressed in new sleeves and bored them out. New pistons, rings, bearings, injectors. New springs and seals in injector pump.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did the injectors and injection pump get rebuilt?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
New injectors from Kubota and new springs and seals in the pump, Wolfman.
Ok everyone says new injectors from Kubota, and they really mean new injectors from Amazon or eBay or someone that says that they are factory Kubota injectors.
The reason I say this, as there is a rash of junk injectors running around and they will all test bad too.
They have a poor atomization pattern and improper pop off pressures!

I'm not calling you a liar or anything of the sort, I have just seen too many of them.

akbear

Equipment
B4200
Mar 1, 2024
Idaho
Ok everyone says new injectors from Kubota, and they really mean new injectors from Amazon or ebay or someone that they are factory Kubota injectors.
The reason I say this is there is a rash of junk injectors running around and they will all test bad too.
They have a poor atomization pattern and improper pop off pressures!
I looked at the knock-off injectors online and they were so ridiculously cheap that I didn’t trust them. So I took the original injectors to the Kubota dealer and he matched them up. Do you think injectors could cause this problem?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I looked at the knock-off injectors online and they were so ridiculously cheap that I didn’t trust them. So I took the original injectors to the Kubota dealer and he matched them up. Do you think injectors could cause this problem?
Yes it could, that's why I mentioned it.
Sounds like you have that covered.

How much run time do you have on it?
Have you gotten it up to temp running?

akbear

Equipment
B4200
Mar 1, 2024
Idaho
I only have an hour of running time under load at varying rpm’s but keeping it under 3/4 throttle. I really don’t have a way to put it under a heavy load, like bailing hay or plow a field, just running a mower. I was reading a discussion started by Anonymous-O back in 2012 with the exact same issue of blow-by in a new rebuild. The consensus of that discussion was to run the snot out of it and get those rings to seat, which is heartening. Some were saying 100 hours of hard work before there would be a difference.