RC48 grass cutting deck adjustment

Hugo Habicht

Equipment
G1900
Jun 24, 2024
Ireland
Hello,

a newbie question regarding the cutting desk setup. It is an RC48-G20K which I believe is the wrong one for my tractor. I think it should be an RC48-G20K-S for four wheel steering. Somebody before had been very creative and cut off the front link and welded it together shorter. The rear linkage cannot be put into mounting point A on the frame due to the PTO being too long then. That means I cannot adjust it by the book.

So... the manual says to adjust the front linkage so that X-Y is 11mm. My adjustment is at the end stop with the anti-scalp rollers still on the ground and I believe this is not right. So am I correct that the pull of the front linkage lifts the front of the deck off the ground so that the anti-scalp rollers are in the air and that only the rear wheels are on the ground? Since the rear linkage is mounted at the very end there must be a very high force to lift the remaining 50kg weight at that shallow angle.

Screenshot_20240907_093114.jpg

Kind regards,
Hugo

Last edited:

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS Kubota G1800
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I would think just weld in the length you are short on the solid rod ....if you have no welder then take it to a weld shop.

Hugo Habicht

Equipment
G1900
Jun 24, 2024
Ireland
Modifying it is no problem.

But can you confirm that the front link is lifting the deck at the front so that the anti-scalp rollers are not touching the ground when deck is lowered down?

At the moment I think the link is slightly too long.

arml

Equipment
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I had a problem with the G1800 I bought recently....all adjustments were correct except the front draw bar....was doing some pretty good scalping I adjusted the draw bar to 15"top to center hole....perfect.

Hugo Habicht

Equipment
G1900
Jun 24, 2024
Ireland
Ok, but did it lift the anti-scalp rollers?
The deck is the wrong one on my mower, so the figures from the manual do not work.

arml

Equipment
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
Yes it did....think about it, pulling the front of the deck will lift it up , then just measure the blade tip facing front and you will have your problem solved.

Reactions: 1 user

Shotgun Merwin

Jul 9, 2024
Hognut
If it's not even for your tractor, i don't know how useful the service manual is going to be. The way i usually level a mower deck is measure from the blades to level ground. It needs to slightly lower in front, like say 1/8"-1/4". Then side to side it should match whatever setting you have on the dial, within maybe 1/8" or so, don't try for perfection because it's just not obtainable most times. The wheels should never be in constant contact with the ground though. I forget how high up they should be, but i think those decks even have it printed right on there where to set them.

Hugo Habicht

Equipment
G1900
Jun 24, 2024
Ireland
Ok, so I definitely have to shorten the front link to get the front rollers off the ground.

That leads to another question: how do you measure the height of the blades? They are covered all around and not easily accessible when the deck is on the ground.

I can always measure the height as per manual on the frame, only the deck sits in a slightly different position lengthwise.

Shotgun Merwin

Jul 9, 2024
Hognut
You could buy one of those fancy mower deck height gauges. I broke down and bought one, they're not that expensive, but like anything on amazon anymore it can take weeks to arrive.