RC44-G mower deck gearbox

Geno67

Equipment
G4200 with RC44-G deck
Jul 4, 2024
Tallahassee
Not good. Anyone know how to rebuild a mower deck gear box?

Previous owner removed the external clip from the shaft, I see no shims, no o ring and they packed it with grease. The good thing is it still works, the bad thing is it makes too much noise.

gearbox 2.jpg
gearbox.jpg

dragfan66

Equipment
B7500 Z231KW G1800 L3350DT
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
You probably should remove it from the machine and do a complete disassembly.
Inspect all components and identify what is missing.
Messick's has a breakdown of the gear box and has many items you probably need in stock.
Then you can put it back together and do the shimming then.
Since it is ball bearings, you probably only have to shim for gear backlash.

Disclaimer: I have never rebuilt one of these, but have done many similar projects over the years.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Rebuild procedure attached. Usually when they are filled with grease instead of gear oil, it's because they leak......

Attachments

Geno67

Equipment
G4200 with RC44-G deck
Jul 4, 2024
Tallahassee
Outstanding!!! You guys are the best.

This poor tractor has had a rough life. It was rolled by the previous owner a couple decades ago, it has not been greased - except occasionally and then only what they could easily see, never oiled that I am aware of, supposedly, they did change the engine/transmission oil occasionally. It doesn't charge - has a new dynamo - the belt for it is stretched out to the point of being hideously loose and the adjustment is all the way out. The light sockets are toast. The mower deck works but screeches.

It's a hydro and runs and drives great except for slightly sloppy steering.

The engine and tranny in these are pretty much bulletproof from what I can ascertain, the decks fall apart but only if the covers are left on them and, luckily, this one lost those long ago.

I have new belts, fuel filter/prefilter, engine oil/filter, transmission oil/filter and deck idler bearings. I just ordered internal snap ring, shims, o-ring and two new gearbox bolts from messick's.

I'll get the deck cleaned up, phospho'd, ez-slide on the inside, and the gearbox rebuilt asap.

Reactions: 1 user