Question on transfering warranty on 2022 BX1880

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I am going to look at a BX1880 purchased new in 2022 ,36 hours, loader, no MMM with a friend who asked that I come along and help check it out.

If she buys the tractor, from a private party, does she have to do anything in writing etc to transfer the remaining warranty to her name as far as Kubota is concerned?

It is my understanding the basic warranty period for a non commercial use BX is 24 months or 1500 hours and the limited powertrain is 6 years or 2000 hours.

I am not sure I see what the time period is for the loader?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I bought mine, there was nothing to do since the tractors are tracked by the VIN number, not the owners name. The only thing that you will want to do is to confirm with the selling dealer if the tractor was financed. If you call KTAC they will just hang up on you and not even acknowledge that you have called. The only one that can tell you if the tractor is financed is the selling dealer or the person that you are buying from. You can check with the town where the tractor presently lives to see if the lien was registered with the town, but that isn't a foolproof method.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
You can download the Kubota Warranty Information Guide:

And on page Four of the Guide (not the PDF), it reads:

Transferability If you decide to sell your Kubota, any remaining warranty coverage may be transferred to the new owner. Contact your Kubota dealer for details.

So, go to/call your local Kubota dealer to determine what is required.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I always tend to be a bit more optimistic on these things. The dealer and Kubota will know when the tractor was sold by the serial number. It's the tractor that has the warranty. If you take it in, they'll look it up with Kubota and know that tractor is still within warranty. Seems to me they're not going to ask for evidence that you own it any more than a car yard would ask for evidence you own a car if you bring it in for warranty service.

No harm in asking the local dealer to be sure. But personally I wouldn't worry about it a lot.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
When I bought mine, there was nothing to do since the tractors are tracked by the VIN number, not the owners name. The only thing that you will want to do is to confirm with the selling dealer if the tractor was financed. If you call KTAC they will just hang up on you and not even acknowledge that you have called. The only one that can tell you if the tractor is financed is the selling dealer or the person that you are buying from. You can check with the town where the tractor presently lives to see if the lien was registered with the town, but that isn't a foolproof method.
Thanks for the input DustyRusty, financed was a issue I had not given thought to. I will pass it on to my friend.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I always tend to be a bit more optimistic on these things. The dealer and Kubota will know when the tractor was sold by the serial number. It's the tractor that has the warranty. If you take it in, they'll look it up with Kubota and know that tractor is still within warranty. Seems to me they're not going to ask for evidence that you own it any more than a car yard would ask for evidence you own a car if you bring it in for warranty service.

No harm in asking the local dealer to be sure. But personally I wouldn't worry about it a lot.
It it was financed and brought into a dealership for a warranty repair, they would run the VIN and it would be flagged as a machine that is wanted for back payments that were not made. Kubota credit would secure the machine and the "owner" in possession of the machine with a lien on it would lose all the money that he paid the seller who didn't have clear title to the machine.

Old Machinist

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 cab, JD 4310, NH 575E cab backhoe, JD F725, Swisher 60", etc.
May 27, 2024
NE FL
I went through this recently when I purchased my 2022 LX3310. I bought it from an independent machinery dealer. They said they bought it from a John Deere dealer so I assume it was traded in at JD and wholesaled. I called Kubota to ask about the warranty and got a very helpful person that told me the in service date and warranty periods remaining. I then called KTAC to see if it had a lien and was told to pound sand. They refused to even try to look up the VIN to see if it had a lien. I went back to the warranty person I had talked to and she danced around the question a little but inferred it was clear.

I bought the tractor and went to the dealer in the town where I bought it. There I talked to a very helpful service advisor that took my information and a copy of the bill of sale and said she would fill out and submit the paperwork to transfer it into my name. I never heard anymore from her and didn't try to call her back. I registered the tractor in my name with Kubota online and with the My Kubota app on my phone.

Not long ago I called Kubota customer service to verify if the tractor showed in my name and was told it was. That is where a caveat came in. When they went into the warranty area it reverted back to the original owners name. She told me the dealer must not have entered the transfer correctly and to go back to them. I switched to a dealer closer to me that I intend to use and they said it didn't matter what name was on file because the warranty followed the VIN of the tractor, not whose name came up. They didn't express any interest in filling out another transfer form because they said it wasn't necessary.

NOW, it could always turn out the payments were current at the time I bought it and when I take it in for service it might come up with an outstanding lien. That is something I will worry about since KTAC was unhelpful in answering that question. BUT I have had the dealer AND Kubota customer service look up the vin a couple of times since the purchase and it didn't have any flags against it so hopefully it's all clear.

Last edited: