Question on steering

ACDII

Equipment
L4060HSTC-LE, loaded. B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I just picked up a couple fields for hay down the road, so normally I don't go anywhere on the highway other from one drive to the other, so this was my first time out at full speed pulling my mower and tedder. What I am concerned with is that I had to constantly steer left to fight the crown, what I mean is I have turned the steering wheel 2 full revolutions left to keep it straight. Is this normal for the L4060-HSTC?

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
So you are saying you must keep turning the wheel to the left as you go so it doesn't drift off into the ditch on the right? It is common for hydrostatic steering to have "a little bit" of drift, so it might be tolerable for the center steering wheel position for straight ahead to change slightly over several minutes, particularly under heavy loader work. Yours sounds way beyond that.

But if there is a steering system issue, it would likely be occurring all the time, not just on the road. Maybe not so noticeable other times? Also, any chance other factors are involved, like tire inflation issues or uneven tire wear or misalignment? Is what you are pulling dragging to one side?

Whatever the cause, what you describe is a safety hazard and needs prompt attention.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So you are saying you must keep turning the wheel to the left as you go so it doesn't drift off into the ditch on the right? It is common for hydrostatic steering to have "a little bit" of drift, so it might be tolerable for the center steering wheel position for straight ahead to change slightly over several minutes, particularly under heavy loader work. Yours sounds way beyond that.

But if there is a steering system issue, it would likely be occurring all the time, not just on the road. Maybe not so noticeable other times? Also, any chance other factors are involved, like tire inflation issues or uneven tire wear or misalignment? Is what you are pulling dragging to one side?

Whatever the cause, what you describe is a safety hazard and needs prompt attention.
Exactly, the description of the steering problem is not normal. and needs to be addressed before an accident.

ACDII

Equipment
L4060HSTC-LE, loaded. B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
My l4760hstc does the same thing and it is normal. Mine has done that since new.
This was my thought as well. I haven't dug into the schematics, but I believe the steering wheel doesn't actually connect to the steering gear, but via hydraulic pressure alone. Because I had my tedder behind me, it was sticking out past the center line so I had to ride close to the shoulder where it curves down. Nothing wrong with the tires or alignment, even my car will pull that way, its a bad road.

I am thinking that at highway speed steering pressure from the pump is reduced to prevent over reaction to the wheel. A bump that jerked the wheel hard could cause the tractor to flip if the wheels turned as sharp as when going 2 MPH. Since someone with the L series has seen the same thing, then it matches my theory that there is no solid connection between wheel and steering gear.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep…hydrostatic steering will present itself as a steering-wheel which will “drift” a bit. Running alongside a road-shoulder with steep crown very likely requires constant correction of the steering wheel.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Since someone with the L series has seen the same thing, then it matches my theory that there is no solid connection between wheel and steering gear.
Yes, my Grand L had a bit of drift also - maybe an inch or two on the steering every several minutes, as I recall. And that's entirely normal with all-hydraulic steering. But your original description left the impression the drift was way worse than that... so bad that you had to keep cranking the steering wheel constantly just to go straight. That would not be normal and could indicate a problem internal to the steering hydraulics. I guess it's a matter of degree. Sorry if I misunderstood your situation.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
This is what was originally stated. " What I am concerned with is that I had to constantly steer left to fight the crown, what I mean is I have turned the steering wheel 2 full revolutions left to keep it straight."

If this statement is not an exaggeration, the tractor steering is not functioning properly. If there is that much movement required to keep the tractor going straight at any speed on any surface is unrealistic.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Power steering drift will allow the steering wheel to rotate slowly when turned against its left or right stop. If there's such a heavy pull to the side on a reasonable road crown, enough to call for PS drift of the steering wheel, then I'd check the steering tightness when shut off, especially the play in any ball joints or other wear areas in the steering system.
If the steering knuckles seem tight to the hydraulic steering unit, check the toe-in.
There's a spec in the tractor's manual, mine is 0-10mm or about 0-1/4".
If there's play enough to allow "toe-out", or it's that out of adjustment, then it will for sure drag you all over the road if there's crowns to deal with.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is what was originally stated. " What I am concerned with is that I had to constantly steer left to fight the crown, what I mean is I have turned the steering wheel 2 full revolutions left to keep it straight."

If this statement is not an exaggeration, the tractor steering is not functioning properly. If there is that much movement required to keep the tractor going straight at any speed on any surface is unrealistic.
I think we need to know the period of time that passed as the steering wheel was turned two full revolutions.

If it were 10 minutes, probably normal. If it were 5 or 10 seconds, probably not normal.

I have a similar issue with my BX, which is now about 22 years old. Initially I had to turn the steering a noticeable amount to keep tracking straight over a distance of 200 feet. Now I’m at the point where I have to do something about it, probably in the next year or two… (should have fixed it over the last year or two :oops:).

Occasionally now I have to turn the steering wheel, a full revolution or more in order to get some action at the front tires. Yes, obviously I have a problem. But I think we need to know how quickly the OP is having to turn the steering wheel to compensate for directional drift before coming to a conclusion.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I think we need to know the period of time that passed as the steering wheel was turned two full revolutions.

If it were 10 minutes, probably normal. If it were 5 or 10 seconds, probably not normal.

I have a similar issue with my BX, which is now about 22 years old. Initially I had to turn the steering a noticeable amount to keep tracking straight over a distance of 200 feet. Now I’m at the point where I have to do something about it, probably in the next year or two… (should have fixed it over the last year or two :oops:).

Occasionally now I have to turn the steering wheel, a full revolution or more in order to get some action at the front tires. Yes, obviously I have a problem. But I think we need to know how quickly the OP is having to turn the steering wheel to compensate for directional drift before coming to a conclusion.
The OP was having the problem while traveling down the road "on the highway" with equipment. So I doubt the time frame is longer then seconds. That is what my comments referenced.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The OP was having the problem while traveling down the road "on the highway" with equipment. So I doubt the time frame is longer then seconds. That is what my comments referenced.
I understand. But the distance between his fields could’ve only been 100 yards for all we know. I was trying to say that in order to give a helpful reply, we need to know specific information from the person asking the question.