Puncture proof tires?

Oceandiver

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 12, 2024
Southern Indiana
I have a BX2380 and I'm putting a flail mower on the back to cut brush in about 35 acres of woods. I've read some horror stories about punctured tires, one guy said he punctured all four one time.
My local dealer said there's no such thing, but is there a solid tire?
Or, is there a tire that is more puncture resistant than all the rest?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have a BX2380 and I'm putting a flail mower on the back to cut brush in about 35 acres of woods. I've read some horror stories about punctured tires, one guy said he punctured all four one time.
My local dealer said there's no such thing, but is there a solid tire?
Or, is there a tire that is more puncture resistant than all the rest?
You can have yours foam filled. A few here have done that on their BX’s.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you ! One quick question about that...if I get them foam filled, can I just leave them on the tractor and use it that way from now on, for everything?
Yes you could use them full time.
It's expensive and gives it a super rough ride.
It's not worth it.
Replacing or patching a tire is much cheaper.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A friend who bought some property down near Lockhart has a field full of mesquite trees with thorns like nails….. he bought a used Massey with turf tires (had been used in a warehouse) ….and he took it to his local tractor-tire dealer …who cut the bead off some R1s that had been traded-in…. and rolled the R1 tread onto the deflated R3s….then inflated the R3s ….which tightened up the R1 treads.

Chuck has Never had a flat as the result, despite all kinds of nails, thorns, deer-antlers, etc etc.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are several puncture repair fluids to put in the tires.

Flat Out is one example.
There are some that can be used in tires with ballast (or can be used as ballast if you have deep enough pockets)

I would not use Slime due to the length of time it would last.

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Had one of the first B20s. HD loader and small front tires getting flats were an issue. Asked local Bobcat dealer owner about foam in tires. To complicate things there is different types of foam with different results and followed their advice of foam installer. Because of the cost usually want to foam new tires. The newly foamed tires were heavy and surprisingly bouncey. Deflected with load like a pneumatic tire. I really couldn’t tell a difference in ride quality. No tire problems for over twenty years and 2500+ hours.

Current tractors B26 and M59 used Gempler’s bulletproof sealant in front tires.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I put some of the Kubota brand "goo" in my front tires about 3 months ago.

I did not really have any problems, it was more of a preventative thing for me. You know that whole ".....ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" type thing.

Oceandiver

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 12, 2024
Southern Indiana
I got a quote from my tire guy, $160.00 for each front tire, $329.00 for each rear tire. Wow. I didn't think it would be that much !
And I guess when the tires wear out, that investment is gone with them. I don't think I'm going to do this, but if I do, I'm thinking it should be on a new set of tires so I get the longest life out of the investment.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have used… correction… I have ATTEMPTED to use the “benefits” claimed by “SLIME”….

SLIME…is the WORST STUFF made for this problem. It not only failed to seal mesquite-thorn leaks in my 9N front tires, trailer tires, kids bicycle tires, and lawn-“tractor” tires…. it also RUSTED the Wheel-Rims and ruined them.
Plus, when you try to actually Patch the leak in an effort to save the tire or tube… it’s a MESS@

Now comes “Flat Out”! …and a You-Toober “Project Ranch”…. who runs reasonably competent actual tests and publishes his results. He convinced me that “Flat Out” could actually seal-up a 1/2” HOLE in a tire…because HE DRILLED tires and ran tests on different products…

So I bought a whole case of the stuff online… and put it in the tires of my Kubota RTV and my sons Kawasaki Mule. The Kubota had no leaks…but the Mule already had a SERIOUSLY Damaged Tire with a Deer Antler through it.…
Son had tried ”Slime’….and that’s how I know how messy that stuff is…. because I had to clean that THIT OUT…which is a better brand-name for that product.

So, I cleaned the tire and put a vulcanizing “boot” in it. Still leaked. Bought the case of Flat-Out….

…and FLAT OUT definitely WORKS!

PLUS, Flat-out doesn’t cause rust…and if you ever Do change to new tires…the stuff can be harvested out of the old tire and put into the new tire as-you-mount-it….. and keep on keeping on.

Flat Out is MADE IN TEXAS ….where we have Mesquite thorns, Cactus, Deer Antlers, Sharp Rocks, and ATVs, 4-wheelers, Pickup Trucks …(Yes Flat Out has both OFF-Road and ON-Road versions of product.)

Disclaimer: I have no interest in Flat Out except as a Very Happy customer who wants them to stay in business. (The product I bought was the off-road version and it came in plastic squeeze-bottles with tubes fitted with schrader-valve adaptors. They now offer different packaging but I presume the product has not changed.)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
About 20 years ago I had a 7.50x16 three ribbed front tractor tire that would go down every few days. I figured it had a locust or hedge thorn in it and when parked at a particular position it pushed it in just a bit more and air leaked out. I was 20 miles from a shop to fix it, but I took it off and headed in.

I stopped by a farm store to pick up something and in the conversation we discussed tires and problems with then in locust /hedge territory. He suggested Slime. I had never used it and wasn't familiar with it. I went back to the shelf to see what is was and what size to try since it might save me driving in to the fix it shop. Label said 54 oz for 16" tire. Man at the desk said 32 oz would do it. So I bought that bottle and put the entire contents into that tire, aired it up and went back an put it on the tractor. I don't think I had a flat in that thing for years!

So I guess in some cases slime does what they say it will do.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Give me a idea of the cost of foaming my front tires on my mower, 8” tires maybe
You'll have to find someone local to you and get a price from them, it varies quite a bit from place to place.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I got a quote from my tire guy, $160.00 for each front tire, $329.00 for each rear tire. Wow. I didn't think it would be that much !
And I guess when the tires wear out, that investment is gone with them. I don't think I'm going to do this, but if I do, I'm thinking it should be on a new set of tires so I get the longest life out of the investment.
You need to find a place that does foam filling regularly.

My foam filled tires have been on my BX for everything for about 20 years now. Front and rear filled.

About three years ago my son in law got a BX23s, and for stability I recommended he get the tires foam filled. I gave him $200 towards it (as a tractor warming present), and that covered a bit over 50% of the cost for all four tires. This is at a place north of Pittsburgh (Skandar tire, Evans City). Same place I got my front tires foam filled 22 years ago on my B2910. Foamed them after getting punctures. Never looked back.

racer86y

Equipment
2010 Kubota L2800
Sep 7, 2022
Kingston,Ok.
About 20 years ago I had a 7.50x16 three ribbed front tractor tire that would go down every few days. I figured it had a locust or hedge thorn in it and when parked at a particular position it pushed it in just a bit more and air leaked out. I was 20 miles from a shop to fix it, but I took it off and headed in.

I stopped by a farm store to pick up something and in the conversation we discussed tires and problems with then in locust /hedge territory. He suggested Slime. I had never used it and wasn't familiar with it. I went back to the shelf to see what is was and what size to try since it might save me driving in to the fix it shop. Label said 54 oz for 16" tire. Man at the desk said 32 oz would do it. So I bought that bottle and put the entire contents into that tire, aired it up and went back an put it on the tractor. I don't think I had a flat in that thing for years!

So I guess in some cases slime does what they say it will do.
What brand of slime?Or is that the brand name?