Pto Shaft for as new MX6000 and and old Bush Hog SQ60R 5ft Squealer

wmdrescher

Equipment
Mx6000 and B2160
Jul 28, 2024
Lanesborough
I recently bought a new MX6000 (60hp) Kubota with a Delmorino 158 Flail Ditch mower and love it.

I also dug out an old Bush Hog SQ60R Squealer that had been left for 30 years under an old maple tree. Amazingly, the gearbox is perfect, and I plan to drain, clean, and re-oil it. It had a broken blade, so I ordered two replacements with bolts. However, the PTO shaft was rusted tight.

I need to buy a new PTO shaft with a shear pin setting, with a reach of 3.5 to maybe 5 feet. The Kubota dealer suggests a 6-point clutch version, but a local farmer has other suggestions.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Links appreciated.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can replace the whole thing with a new one that has the plastic safety shield. I think Bare Co USA can supply a good shaft or your dealer can also.

I would have to try to get it loose by hanging it up and spraying a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster on the small inner shaft and let it run into the outer shaft. Then after a few days of that see if it works loose.

You may be able to just replace the shafting and keep the yokes if you have a driveline shop nearby.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
That's expensive tubing and worth some effort. I would work on getting it apart rather than replacing it (unless you have a few hundred bucks to spare). Chain it to a tree and tractor. Give it a couple good yanks and see what happens.